Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Renn-Art GT71R Big Turbo Kit -> Went to the track with street tune..

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 10:03 PM
1st Gear
Default Renn-Art GT71R Big Turbo Kit -> Went to the track with street tune..

Might as well let it out.. Nothing too impressive, I admit, but as a daily driven setup, it definitely holds its own!

We don't have any fancy stuff going on with this car at all. This is a completely stock internal 2001.5 1.8T A4 with 85k miles on it. Greddy FMIC, Milltek exhaust + 3 inch test pipe, Samco High Flow turbo inlet hose, and of course the turbo kit!

I've driven this car to and from work every day now for about 6 months.. Just so you know, I easily drive about 20k miles a year.. Only issue it has had is the turbo to manifold bolts backing out (which is a problem most big turbo kits out there have), but that was fixed with a few simple tac welds. Now it runs like a champ day in and day out!

Decided last wednesday to run up to the track to just see what it does as a daily driven car (and not a professional driver.. just me )... unfortunately I only had a chance to do a couple runs because they were just about to close when i got there.

Best run (with a crappy 1.9 60ft) was 13.55 @102.92 .. best trap i had was 103.51.. so judging from that, this kit is capable of 13.1's-13.2's with pump gas and regular street tune and 20psi, which is pretty nice I think!

Also note that the intake air temps on my car are very bad due to the junky greddy fmic.. It's showing upwards of 50Celcius at the top end.. [:-] This is why I'm begging our new favorite vendor, Evolution Racewerks, right now to make the Competition FMIC for B5's as well (note that it will probably require an S4 bumper, however). Their FMIC is unbelievable! We stock their parts for a good reason!

On another good note, the RA4 Stg2 clutch is a very nice daily driven clutch, as well as race clutch!! I've had it now for about 10k miles and just went to the track with it and launched it at 6500rpm and it holds like a god! I highly recommend this setup!

As soon as I have a better FMIC solution, we'll get to the track again... plus this time we'll run 100oct and add a bit of timing and probably about 25-27 psi and see what happens! [8D]

----------------

Originally, we (as many others) were very sceptical about this kit, but now it's proven itself!.. For just $3307 ($3207 for the GTRS version) this is truly a bargain turbo kit that simply holds it's own!

The clutch kit we use on this car is, again, the RA4 Stg2 (RS4 Clutch converted to work on A4's with a very light 7lb flywheel), which is only $1249 as a complete kit:

Old 08-22-2006, 10:11 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Renn-Art GT71R Big Turbo Kit -> Went to the track with street tune..

thats the kit i want, the only problem i have though is the automatic....might trade it in for newer stick later in the year, or just get a ko4 on my current one.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:21 PM
Zombie Defense Force
Default RE: Renn-Art GT71R Big Turbo Kit -> Went to the track with street tune..

oooo very nice. im liking the lwfw but one q: do you have a problem with stalling if you let the rpms fall too fast, like do you have to feather the throttle when you put the clutch in to keep the car from stalling?
?/

Old 08-22-2006, 11:45 PM
Site Moderator

Mine is still running weird. Haven't had any issue with the bolts yet.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:19 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Jeff

oooo very nice. im liking the lwfw but one q: do you have a problem with stalling if you let the rpms fall too fast, like do you have to feather the throttle when you put the clutch in to keep the car from stalling?
?/
once in a while it does do that.. but it's pretty rare.. i don't have to drive around and feather it all the time, in other words.. it runs just like normal.

i have to mention that there is a slight rattle at idle though, and if these things bother you then there's also now a medium lightened fw that you can get instead. i believe it's 12.6lbs vs this one which is 6.3lbs... so that one is still lighter than the stock 24.5lbs flywheel!.. and the 12.6lb fw option is also easier to drive of course (the 6lbs one doesnt bother me though..).