Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced front pads/rotors today..

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 03:58 PM
Site Moderator
Default Replaced front pads/rotors today..

So I sort of need an explanation... Past few months the front brakes have not been squeeking, but when i brake at low speeds- makes like a "hhhmmmmm" sound, if you can imagine that...? Anyway I had also noticed braking power was weak. I replaced the rear pads and rotors last Feb. or something, so I could only suspect the fronts. So I replaced my front pads and rotors today, and the ones i took off had about 80% or more pad life left, and the rotors looked ok except for what looked like slight warping (although my brake pedal never pulsated or didnt have any driveabilty problems to suggest warpage.) So after I get the new pads and rotors on-HOLY CRAP the car stops soooo much better! I have no idea what brand pads were on before, buti put on mintex redbox and whatever OEM VW rotors they sent me (cheapos like $27/rotor-dont expect them to last for a long time.) Im just cant understand why my old pads and rotors didnt perform anywhere close to the way the new ones do when they were in almost the same condition. Im not exactly sure what causes glazing, but my old rotors did look pretty glazed over.. Doesnt that happen from overheating??? And when that happens does the brake pad not get good enough contact with the rotor to provide efficient braking or what??? Anyway, if someone could help me out with that question that would be cool... Not that any of it really matters because at least now my car stops like it should.

Old 11-18-2006, 04:06 PM
Default RE: Replaced front pads/rotors today..

glazed rotors are indeed caused by heat, when rotors are glazed it's almost as though the pads are trying to grip a "slipprey" rotor. Being as smooth and glazed the pads get less grip, and once again make more heat, also leading to fade. So once your rotors are glazed it's all downhill kind of a snowball effect, just keeps getting worse

Old 11-18-2006, 04:09 PM
4th Gear

glazing is from extremly hard braking, its usually the stage right before major warpage

i think im going to go with those mintex red box pads when i do my brakes, and some cross drilled rotors

Old 11-18-2006, 04:15 PM

glazing is caused by heat and the fact they don't use asbestos any more and that makes the pads harder to ware so you end up with what you have and its common, it will happen again im sure that's why people change to slotted and drilled rotors and green stuff pads ( more expensive ) but the ware is even on pads and rotors with a slight added noise from the rotors

Old 11-18-2006, 04:20 PM
Site Moderator

Thats what I thought, thanks... I was going to get cross drilled but I have some maint. to catch up on and its going to be an expensive month. Ill have to hold off on the test pipe till next month maybe. Gotta flush the tranny and do tie rods/alignment. Anyway ya id highly recomend mintex. I have them on the back and no squeeking with them or the fronts so far and we'll have to see about how dusty the wheels get, hopefuly not too bad. The fronts have the wear sensors btw, and i got them from www.getcoolparts.com for $47. Only cost be $98 for the front rotors and pads!