Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another brake thread..Replaced all 4 rotors/Pads last weekend

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 04:49 AM
1st Gear
Default Yet another brake thread..Replaced all 4 rotors/Pads last weekend

Hey guys, here is the story...

I replaced All four rotors and pads last weekend. Got Stoptech OEM replacment Slotted rotors and Posiquiet pads for my 02 A6.
Bled and Flushed the brake fluid as well, everything but the ABS module. I coudl nto find any info on how to flush the ABS module.
now, the brake pedal is alot mushy and it takes quite an effort to stop the car. Right away I am thinking bubbles, but I went through over half a gallon of fluid trying to bleed and flush the system. Do you think there coudl be some air bubbles in teh ABS system that may be causing the mushy pedal.
What started all this was me trying to bed-in new rotors and pads on 3 year old fluid, which boiled on the 7th bed-in stop. I barely mad eit home.
So, I have bled and flushed teh system. The "old" fluid in the ABS the culprit?

Old 04-19-2007, 03:51 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Yet another brake thread..Replaced all 4 rotors/Pads last weekend

the old fluid and new pads that are not fully bed in yet. My brembo rotors said that it takes something like 500 miles to bed them in with normal driving. They suggested 5 or 6 good stops and then driving carefully for the next 500 miles or so. My pedal slowly firmed up. Audi's are known for mussy break pedals, well at least Car & Driver thinks so. Definitely the mussiest peddle of any car I have ever owned. Give it time and I'm sure it will firm up.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:32 AM
1st Gear

How'd you bleed the brakes? sounds like air in the system.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:22 PM
1st Gear

I had the same problem. I kept getting air in the lines. You have the keep fluid visible in the brake fluid resivoir or you will get air in. I had someone filling the fluid constantly. once i did that i got all the air out. I went through 2 quarts of oil before getting the air out.