Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced rear pads and rotors, still brake warning light

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 09:28 AM
1st Gear
Default Replaced rear pads and rotors, still brake warning light

I just replaced the pads and rotors, used the Autozone rear brake tool to spin the caliper piston back, everything went back together pretty slick. But the ((O)) [I think], is still on, and the driver's side outside pad is only wearing on the top half of the rotor. All the lugs are torqued and the four bolts for the caliper bracket and caliper are all very snug, so I'm still confused as to why its not wearing evenly. I'll take a pic if there's any confusion.
Also, after reading a few threads here, I opted to check the front pads as well, to check the pad sensor wires, as well as the pads themselves. While the inners are probably 20%-25%, the outters are still good.

Thanks for the help!

Old 09-12-2011, 10:59 AM
2nd Gear

If I recall, the brake warning light is just for the front pads (don't quote me, i could totally be wrong!). Also, the wire is just on one side, and if I recall it was indeed the inners; being that you have 20-25% left, the warning light is most likely properly going off. Another option is to check the wire; sometimes it comes undone from the pad. If it gets too annoying you can just short the wire (as the system detects when the wire gets disconnected, so shorting the wire will act like a 'good' pad).

Old 09-12-2011, 08:35 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info! Wasn't sure if that warning was for front and/or rears. Any ideas on the rear pad only wearing on the top half of the rotor?

Old 09-13-2011, 01:19 PM
3rd Gear

Did you lubricate all the sliding points? It could be that one side is getting stuck. Check and clean all the contact/sliding points and lubricate with white lithium grease.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:42 PM
1st Gear

probably the slider pins are seizing . you may need a new carrier and pins. personally I wouldnt sweat it too much as most of the braking is off the front ..