Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing my turbocharger this week...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 08:56 PM
1st Gear
Default Replacing my turbocharger this week...

Since my '97 A4 1.8T fwd auto decided not to carry me to Florida with everyone else who's on spring break this week, I get to replace the turbo in my apartment parking lot. Well the week of working on the car has started...I've removed parts of the airbox to give me better access to the turbo, and have started disconnecting other related hoses. I look kindof stuck at this point...has anyone out there been able to remove the K03 from above, without removing the front bumper/radiator/all that? Maybe I can just remove the fan assembly behind the radiator to get more room to work down there? Any help is greatly appreciated... Thanks
Rob

Old 03-06-2005, 09:02 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Replacing my turbocharger this week...

No dude, u dont have to remove that at all. And yes it will come out from the top. If you need some help, hit me up with a pm, ive installed 3 of them so i know all the lil tricks.

Old 03-06-2005, 10:04 PM
Banned

alls it takes is a few little twist and the disconnect of all lines and piping and walla its out. its pretty straight foward just dont lose any of ur copper rings for the oil and coolant lines. disconnect the oil drain line from the pan, its easier. also dont forget to prime the turbo before starting her back up or u might still make it to s/b

Old 03-07-2005, 04:27 PM
3rd Gear

yup comes right out the top, shouldn't really take very long, I did mine in 5hrs including pizza/beer break. you can still make it to FL!

Old 03-07-2005, 08:34 PM
1st Gear

Ok guys, thanks for all the help so far. Here's the update on my project. I've got all of the hoses off, except for those between the turbocharger and the waste unit (I think that's what its called...the littler round guy to the right of the turbo). Got the coolant hose off and drained the system...got the steel hose next to it off too. I can feel the core with my fingers now, and there is definate side-to-side play. Now the big issue seems to be disconnecting the turbo from the exhaust. There appear to be about six bolts, at what I guess to be 10mm...but the cheap 10mm wrench I was using wasn't working. Went and bought a stainless 9mm and that's too small...so I'm kindof stuck now trying to get this damned thing off. They're the ones under and to the left of the steel hose that is still connected in the pic. Any way I could pull off the front and slap in a new turbine? I suppose we could also try to get off the big bolts that hold the whole assembly to the block/exhaust. Any suggestions or cool little tricks about how I can proceed from here? Thanks a ton, everyone. Here's where I am now:

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 03-07-2005, 09:29 PM
Banned

there is an allen bolt that is under neith the turbo in the center area that will be also holding the turbo in place. dude dont rebuild ur turbo while its in your car. i see its your first time and none of ur buddys are any help. youll get through it. if it comes off it will. the bolts that hold it to the manifold are 17mm i forget what the d/p ones are. after you get the manifold bolts off and d/p bolts off and that allen bolt off o and the intercooler piping off you will be able to shift the turbo to the right of the engine bay giving you access the to coolant return line which is a 19mm. u will need a socket 3/8 drive for it. do not lose the 2 copper rings that are going to fall out when removing this bc then when u replace it it will not seal. go under the car and disconnect the oil drain line from the pan. once this is all done just shift, play, and muscle the turbo out!

o ya ur pics dotn work..lol

Old 03-12-2005, 11:54 PM
1st Gear

Alrighty back to work on the car...I ordered a K04 online and went camping for a few days, expecting it to be waiting for me when I got back...instead I come home to an email from the retailer telling me they're on backorder and he has no idea when I could get one...I told him to cancel my order. Now I'm looking for a turbo again...hopefully I can get a K03 or K04 soon! Any ideas?