Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sounds from front end...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 08:54 PM
TIN
1st Gear
Default sounds from front end...

every morning when i drive my car it makes a dull grinding and clickin sound from the front passenger side...audi service said it was b/c of my rotor. had it replaced and sound is still there.....but sound goes away when the car is warmed up....if anyone had this previous problem or known of...plz let me kno...thx..

Old 06-01-2006, 09:08 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: sounds from front end...

If it were a rotor problem, the sound should only be there when the car is rolling. And it should be speed dependent (sound gets faster when car goes faster). I'm sure dealership knew this. If they said it was your rotor anyways, they lied to by the stealership...

but anyways... Please be more descriptive about the sound. Can you hear it when the car is totally stopped? With the hood open? Try to pin point where it is coming from. While it makes that sound, is it speed dependent (of the car)? or engine speed dependent(how fast your rev)?

Old 06-02-2006, 11:23 PM
TIN
1st Gear

after the car sits ova-nite and when i drive it the next morning is when i hear it...but the sound is there for like 10 mins or so and when the car is warmed up, it goes away or an on and off thing...i hear it from stop and go point and at deceleration....but only b/w 5-25 mph...to hear this sound i have to slowly accel and keep it at low rpm other wise the engine sounds will cancel it out. the sound is from the front pass side, somewhere b/w the wheel and the tranny...audi tech looked at it and sed tat there is nothing unusual..im thinkin its my axle,c/v joint, or even the pluge joint, but the boots r not torn...thx for ur response...if u kno anything else, it wood b much appreciated...

Old 06-03-2006, 05:47 PM
1st Gear

I have the same sound I referenced in my post on the general tech forum, still no idea what it is. If yours is like mine its only there before the car is at full running temp, you hear it between 2k and 5k rpms, and once you top 30ish you can't hear it any more (could be canceled by the engine noise). Also for mine the noise goes away when you take your foot off the gas, so its definetly RPM not velocity related. If you get any help on this TIN let me know, cus I really want to get mine fixed.

Old 06-03-2006, 08:40 PM
1st Gear

Sounds like possibly a wheel bearing is starting to fail. Does The noise change when u turn the wheel right or left????

Old 06-04-2006, 02:02 AM
TIN
1st Gear

i had a good frend of mine who knows a lot about differ sounds coming out of a car...i took him for a test drive ....he sed tat from wat he heard everything seems to work fine wit engine, tranny, suspension, etc...but the sound cood b caused by a loose rubber part/s tat hits against something or it cood b something tat is not held down rite.....like when its cold the rubber piece is hard but when the car is warmed up, the rubber is soft and more flex so the sound is not there any more....otherwise its not serious....but then im not sure how urs is like.....yea i hope i can fine out the problem, this sound is annoyin me...

Old 06-04-2006, 10:43 AM
4th Gear

Welcome to the forum. We hope you enjoy your car.

One of the things you will find is that writing in plain english that doesn't need to be translated from ghetto will get you much more helpful answers.

From what i can anderstand it sounds like your car may have a wheel bearing problem. If you write your problem in plain english so I can understand it, along with year and model, as well as any alterations you may have made to your front end or tire size, you will get more help.