Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug help

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 08:28 PM
2nd Gear
Default Spark plug help

Ok, needed a new headline for this post.

But i pulled my plugs, 3 were really white one dead black. Why???

I also looked down on the piston heads, 2 were had a greasy crap ridden look to them, and the other 2 (where i pulled the lesser white and black plugs from) were dry and clean looking.

Whats going on, i need to figure out my car, its an impossible thing to drive right now!!!

Old 10-26-2007, 08:50 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: Spark plug help

White means you were lean. The black one should be fine. You may need to turn down the boost or get a adj fpr and up the pressure a couple psi.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:35 PM
2nd Gear

Cincy, i have the 4 bar that came with the kit, would running the old 3 bar help( i e the stock fpr) ??

Old 10-26-2007, 09:43 PM
I'm make believe

that would make it worse by leaning it out more. Whatpsi are you running now?

Old 10-26-2007, 10:48 PM
2nd Gear

I try not to boost if i can help it, but max can be 25 to 27 with slight drop off.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:59 PM
Tech Guru

sorry to thread jack, but i get lean conditions all the time, i have apr 91 octane and spike at about 25 psi.... i am running iridium plugs

i am thinking about doing an mbc but was told by apr not too..... should i? should i run an adjustable fpr and raise the preasure?

Old 10-26-2007, 11:11 PM
2nd Gear

Ok, cincy, i need your help on this. I was certain i was running rich, i had no way of checking till i came back home from school.
Now i know the car is having worse problems and i need a solution fast. I have to go back to school sunday night, and after that,
there will be no problem in ordering a adj. fpr. But what can i do for the trip back?? Its just under 300 miles but im worried. I can
visit Fixx Fest on sunday and hope i can get ahold of somethign before i leave later at night. But i doubt they are going to have adjustable
fprs available at the show.
If you can possibly suggest a quick fix.
Would putting the stock n75 valve on (i have the H version now, race) help with the lean condition?
Also, i have a t piece in the small vac line that runs to the 4 bar fpr now, i use that for my boost guage, if i take out the T piece and replace
it with a straight line to the fpr fix the problem. I know its the wrong way to have a boost gauge setup, but i only followed the instructions
from AWE.

I really appreciate any advice, i have my car semi taken apart right now for the timing belt, because i thought the temp sensor was causing my
fueling problems, so i was gonna install a couple thousand mmiles early. (it takes a while for the car to get up to optimum temp)

Old 10-26-2007, 11:11 PM
I'm make believe

You both know all your doing is blowing hot air past 21-22psi right? You have got to bring the psi down to 22 psi max. All your do is throwing way to hot of temps and very little air and killing performance. The increase in temps means a decrease in timing, and with the tiny turbos, thats where your power is. So drop the psi and install fresh plugs and check them in about a week. BTW, im betting even a good ic couldnt lower those iat's within reason.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:14 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: khj677turbo

Cincy, i have the 4 bar that came with the kit, would running the old 3 bar help( i e the stock fpr) ??
you mean 5bar? the stock is 4bar and the upgrade should be a 5bar. Didnt see that until now. But you really need the 5bar and to bring down the boost. Your other n75 may work and if not, either get a mbc to do it or take it to the tuner and have them lower the requested.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:15 PM
Tech Guru

i know that running that high isn't good, and a fmic is probably going on this winter early spring........ but why would apr say a mbc is not good? would it help that much? or should i look into the adj fpr? or both all 3? i know the fmic but what about the rest?

and i am thinking i am boostying that high, i am still waiting on my podi pod and guage, right now i have an el chepo guage that seems to be right, -21 at idle

Quick Reply: Spark plug help