Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

this sucking MAF

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 05:41 AM
1st Gear
Default this sucking MAF

my experience shows that you can never test if a MAF works correctly.

i owe 1997 a4 1.8t quattro for about 10 month. during this period it consumed a lot of gas – 14 mpg in a city. it realy sucked. in all the service centers they talked me everything is ok, readings perfect, no DTC. later i bought a vag-com cable and a bentley manual. for 3 month i’ve been studying how to check different sensors and so on. no results, every reading was still ok, no DTC. i thought it was MAF, but there is a thread on the vag-com site, how to check MAF on load. I even sent the log file of that test and they replied that the maf seemed to be practicaly perfect – the reading were quite high to the new maf readings.

on december 31, for any case i decided to clean the MAF, i did it with such an enthusiasm, that broke it. i instaled the broken one and scaned the car. DTC appeared but the reading on idle were 3.2 (according the manual 2 - 4 is normal). i decided to sell the car. but before that i had to fix DTC problem. I had nothing to do, but buy a new MAF, by the same time i bought honda accord 1992 just to run from place to place. and prepared an ad about selling AUDI. i instaled the new maf, no DTC, the readings on idle normal accoriding the manual. i even thought high fuel consumption was not caused by the old maf.

few days later it snowed here. i drove to mountains with my friends to ski and decided to use my AUDI for that. it was perfect, terribly perfect, perfect handling, amazingand the fuel consumption got normal, so it was maf, but no tests showed the old maf was fault. on load the old one showed the reading it should when it is ok. may be my car is chiped and the readings should be higher with the old maf? could someone tell me how to find out if the car is chiped.

today i am selling my both cars to buy better audi quattro, may be a6 avant 2.8 because this turbo has many head aches especialy in my country without qualified mechanists. (they do not know what DV is, wtf).

i am thinking about opening new service center for audi/wv, if you like, join