Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension problem, tell me I'm not crazy

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 08:34 PM
1st Gear
Default Suspension problem, tell me I'm not crazy

So I take my 99 a4 in for a clunking/creaking in the front end hoping its the lower control arms so a fix would be free under the service action. Instead they tell me its the upper arms. $700 later I figure the problem is fixed. The next day I notice that the noise is still there so I take it back to Audi who now says that the noise is coming from the lower left control arm. But they will be nice and only charge me for the part....WHAT? I feel like they screwed up and mis-diagnosed the problem in the first place so they should do the next fix for free. Plus, I asked them to check the lower control arms to see if they should be replaced under the service action recall and they said they were fine. But the next day the left one is bad? I guess I don't really have a question but was hoping for common sympathisers/well-wishers/confirmation that I'm not crazy in thinking that this is Audi's mistake and they should be more than happy to replace the lower control arm for free.

Old 03-23-2005, 10:30 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Suspension problem, tell me I'm not crazy

I'd be all over that service manager. Sounds like they were just trying to get some money out of you. Demand they return the upper arms that were "bad". And the bad lower arm as well. Tell them you'd like to get a second opinion and see if they change their tune.

Old 03-23-2005, 11:33 PM
3rd Gear

yup, also lower ones should be under recall correct?

Old 03-23-2005, 11:57 PM
2nd Gear

the lower arm should definitelyhave been free. and doose is right, you need to demand that they give you your old uppers and that you want a second opinion. you need to be assertive with him or you'll get nowhere. they definitely took you for some cash bud.

Old 03-24-2005, 02:46 AM
2nd Gear

sorry to hear that man..... get the f* back in there and demand they give you your money back. they took you for a ride. not cool. audi is known for being really bad about repairs especially if it is under warrenty/recall

Old 03-24-2005, 09:12 AM
4th Gear

Unfortunately, unless you went right back, it is unlikely that they will have your control arms. They will likely have "been discarded".

I'd complain forcefully, but politely.
Lower control arms should be covered. If you payed by credit card, you might want to check into calling the credit card company and putting a hold on the payment and writing to the credit card company and the dealer with your complaint.

However, be aware of local or state mechanic lein laws.

Old 03-24-2005, 12:57 PM

Well your upper arms were also proberly worn so they did replace those then they offered to replace the lower rear one no labour just parts that sounds like a good deal to me as it would have takin more time for them to do this when they just did the upper links as for the service action they are only for the bottom front links

Old 03-24-2005, 01:06 PM
1st Gear

Definetly talk to the service manager. Go into his office, dont do it outside the office environment. Sit down and voice your concern, BE POLITE but assertive like on the repliers said here. Let them know what a bad service offer they did and tell them that since you had told them to check out the Lower Arms why didnt they. Say you were willing to pay the extra diagnosis on the lower control arms but they didnt do it. Also tell him that your time is money and be serious about it. Give him (the service manager) examples of how he woudl feel if he were in a situation such as yours. Ask him how much does his TIME COST HIM. I am serious ask him that question. Tell him that you had to make another trip to AUDI when you didnt need too because they didnt diagnose the car properly.

Old 03-24-2005, 01:33 PM
1st Gear

Thanks everyone for the responses. I talked to the service manager for like 30 minutes yesterday and he isn't going to budge and I guess I can kind of understand why after he explained it to me. So the first time I took it in they found the problem with the upper arms/links and replaced them because a) they were making some noise and b) there was a safety issue with them being loose. I don't know if they checked the lower arms at that time like I asked them to or not. I suspect they checked them but only for the service action fault (which is very specific regarding the hood around the bushing of the lower arms. Audi will only replace them if this hood shows premature wear and there is play in the joint) So they replaced the uppers and links, drove the car and didn't hear the noise and figured that was that (but as you know suspension noise can vary a lot due to temperature/humidity/speed/etc/etc.) I take the car back because the noise isn't fixed. The problem with the lower arm isn't something that falls under the recall. The service manager said it is actually the opposite with the joint being too tight which I can't understand. Anyway its not a safety issue according to him, just a noise and it could cause premature wear. Because I am a stubborn sonofabitch I decided to trump him and call Audi of America. They basically confirmed what he said but they are going to contact him and get all the facts and get back to me. (Not holding my breath). Since I guess the part really isn't faulty I don't have a lot of ground to stand on and without getting attorney's involved I'm not going to get anywhere with my original complaint that I paid $700 and they didn't fix the problem. I'm taking the free labor and paying $230 for the lower control arm because I don't want to deal with the noise anymore. I'll ask for all of the parts back (again not holding my breath that they kept them) maybe that will lead to something. Maybe the Audi of America Gods will reward me somehow, like a free keychain or something.

Old 03-24-2005, 01:43 PM
1st Gear

Oh and clconv all of these issues were with the front suspension.