Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tip Tranny woes...(electronics half)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 08:13 AM
1st Gear
Default Tip Tranny woes...(electronics half)

So after my Pioneer Avic-D3 install, everything was fine, besides the fact that Audi switched the red and yellow wire from what they are SUPPOSED to be. So my car worked perfect, but my headunit wouldn't keep any memory. So I pulled it out, rewired it, put it back in, and blam! Now I don't have tiptronic shifting anymore. My gear indicator is just completely red (minus the gears which are black). There is NO delay from park to reverse, reverse to neutral, and it's pretty damn quick to get to drive, so I better not try to go from reverse to drive real quick again. Anyone have any idea as to what happened. Only thing I can think of is that a wire was pulled behind the dash.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:21 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Tip Tranny woes...(electronics half)

Did you mess with the shifter plate when you were taking the radio out? if so you may have dislodged or damaged the magnetic switch

Old 09-11-2007, 01:06 PM
4th Gear

Where you trying to hook up the e-brake wire by any chance???

Josh

Old 09-11-2007, 10:30 PM
1st Gear

Well, the screen was sitting on top of the shifter plate, so I don't think that would have been a big deal. I did manage to arc a little from the power to the head unit which MAY have in turn grounded into the shifter plate...which could have done something. I think I read something in the manual about limp mode...I think I'm stuck in it. If anyone has a better reason, PLEASE let me know. It's bad enough to have a tip...but without the tip option, I'm just a normal Auto, and it's terrible.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:35 PM
Site Moderator

If its just the Tip thats malfunctioning 98% chance its the shifter selector assembly, when you take them out magnets fall out of them or they break easily when prying on them.
Have the fault codes checked real quick, there should be a fault for the TR (transmission range) switch.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:37 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: auditech79
TR (transmission range) switch.
I was looking at that part in myrepairmanual. Is it really necessary to replace that from under the car/removing tranny mount(s), etc? Is it as big of a pita as it sounds to replace?

Old 09-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Site Moderator

No its just the circuit board under the chrome plate, you just have to remove the shifter ****, and thetrim around the plate, pull the four tabs around the plate off at the same time and the entire assembly should come out together.
30 minute job.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:42 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: auditech79

No its just the circuit board under the chrome plate, you just have to remove the shifter ****, and thetrim around the plate, pull the four tabs around the plate off at the same time and the entire assembly should come out together.
30 minute job.
Thanks. These are the kind of things I like to be ready for.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:44 PM
Site Moderator

Yeah if you had 04+ A8 then life sucks, takes about 7 hours to do the TR switch on that pile.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:20 AM
1st Gear

HAHA! To my shegrin....ok, not really, I have found that I AM in limp mode. Manual said something about the gear indicator display in the guage cluster is lit up red with the gears in black. I got that. Also, no matter where the shifter is, the transmission will be in the 4th gear position, I got that. figured that out because I don't have OD at the time. I am so glad that I don't have to get on a freeway everyday...or like....ever. I'll see if I can get one of the shop mechanics to hook up to it today at work. We'll see what's going on.