Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk won't will not doesn't open

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 12:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Trunk won't will not doesn't open

Trying to make future searches easier. I have an A4, 2002.

I recently replaced my battery, don't know if this is related.

I can open my trunk with the key (back, near the trunk release) as well as the emergency release (I crawled in there from the back seat to test). I cannot open my trunk with the FOB as well as the trunk release button in the door as well as the trunk release handle on the trunk. I checked the fuses, they are fine. My alarm system works (co-shares fuses) so it is not the fuse. All my doors and windows work manually and electrically. The trunk closes fine but I can't open it. Relay? Mechanical? Thoughts? Thx.

Old 06-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Trunk won't will not doesn't open

When you lock and un-lock the car can you hear the trunk latch moving electrically? If you can hear it moving but you still can't get the trunk open the cable might have fallen off of the latch.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:16 PM
1st Gear

No, I think the problem is electrical because I don't hear anything near the trunk area. When I press the trunk release (on the trunk) switch, it depresses but I don't hear the usual movement. I am thinking it is the actuator? This is strictly based on what I have read here so I actually don't know where the actuator is located or what it looks like.Do you have any hints on diagnosing it? Where do I start sticking that voltmeter? Thx.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Site Moderator

If you don't hear anything its the trunk latch pure and simple. The latch has the actuator inside the latch and commonly fails on all models, (even ones that haven't been sold yet right off the truck)
When you open the lid you will see the latch under the trunk lid trim. There should be maybe a couple of screws then it just snapped in so you can either use a trim panel tool or a long screwdriver and slowly pry it off. When its off you will see the entire latch and the cables attached to it. There should be two 10mm nuts holding the latch in place. You can't really test the latch will a multimeter.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:36 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for a quick response. It sounds like I need a new latch (which includes the actuator)? I can't find any parts online that meet that description. Is that a dealer item or can you recommend an online site to search?

Just so I understand this correctly. When I press the trunk release button on my remote or the electronic button (trunk release) in my driver's door, the electrical system sends instructions to the actuator/latch mechanism that opens the trunk? Could it be that there is something in the electrical system that is not sending the signal to begin with? The reason I ask is because I would like to avoid buying a part that may not be needed.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:52 PM
Site Moderator

Trust me it a 98% chance its the latch, its a dealer part (really elaborate part)
There is a way to check the signal using the VAG COM but i don't know the specific data block for it, but usually when we have a trunk opening and closing problem we request the latch from parts even before bringing the car into the shop they fail that often.

Old 06-09-2007, 06:05 PM
1st Gear

Ok, I have a buddy that has the VAG COM. If someone knows the data block, that would be great.

Just started ripping the trim apart so I will post my success or lack thereof.

Another problem that has now just started. I wonder if this has something to do with me trying to reprogram the remote. One of my remotes works (trunk feature obviously doesn't due to reasons above) while the other remote is now in-op. I swapped the batteries and followed instructions in the manual (mine seem to be simpler than what I have seen posted here, probably because they are not applicable for 2002 and greater models which are now easier). My instructions state:

1.Press unlock or lock button once
2. Lock or unlock the door manually (do this under a minute)

I can lock and unlock the door but reprogramming doesn't occur. I am beginning to think it might have been worth it to take it to the stealership to replace this battery.

Thx again.

Old 06-09-2007, 06:45 PM
1st Gear

Ok, both remotes are now working again. I used instructions available in this forum which are not part of the manual. Looks like what was applicable for pre-2002 cars works for the post-2002 cars as well (press the unlock button twice as mentioned in the instructions).

So, if someone has instructions on the data block, that would help.

Thx.

Old 06-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Site Moderator

Send an e-mail to Ross tech, maybe they know the data block.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:12 PM
1st Gear

Ok, this might help someone. In my case, the comfort module was in the state of confused. I disconnected my battery, shorted the wires (the positive and negative wires) and reconnected the battery. This reset the comfort module and it all works. I had a hunch it was an electrical problem. I do want to thank everyone that responded.

Note: Do not short the wires when the battery is connected. You will either hurt yourself or fry the electronics in your car.