Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration caused by A/C Compressor???

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 03:29 AM
1st Gear
Default Vibration caused by A/C Compressor???

I was on the highway the other day, cruising about 70 or so. All of a sudden, the car started to vibrarte harshly. At first I thought maybe there were some grooves in the road, but I switched lanes and the problem continued. I just had the wheels balanced so at first I thought maybe one the weights flew off. But it seemed more severe than that so then I though maybe I got a flat in one of the rear tires.

The A/C was blowing pretty hard and I wanted to hear better so I reached over to shut it off. Within two seconds, the vibration was gone. So, I turned back on the A/C and everything was fine for about 5 minutes. The same vibration came back. Best way I can describe it is a vibrating bed at a cheap motel (not that I would know, but I can imagine, hahah). Anway, turned off the A/C again and the vibration went away.

This happended two more times. Then I changed the air recycle setting from auto recycle to constant recycle. For the rest of the trip (about 200 highway miles) the problem hasn't come back.

I'm stumped. I'd like to take it in to have it looked at, but am not sure where to tell them to start. Has anybody on this board had this problem before? If so, what was the cause??

Old 07-26-2006, 10:21 PM
Default RE: Vibration caused by A/C Compressor???

Hi there,
To be honest i'm having the same problem with my A/C, i had it re-gassed about a week ago and they told me that my compressor is on its way out. I don't really take one garages word as there in it for money. I have only just got the car so i think it ran out of gas and the oil has run dry. i really need some help too. I don't mind getting a new compressor but its fitting it.
Regards,

craig