Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What RPM's am i trying to reach before downshifting in a b7 2.0t?

Old 03-26-2012, 12:57 AM
1st Gear
Default What RPM's am i trying to reach before downshifting in a b7 2.0t?

Been driving auto for almost 2 years now...so i finally got myself an 06 2.0t a4 6 speed and my dad taught me how to drive...however when downshifting he doesn't know about the revmatching thing...

FIRST MANUAL CAR EVER!

This is the situation i am trying to get answers but can't ANYWHERE!
hope i have more luck here! lol

ok so i'm in 5th...red light up ahead so i slowing down with the brakes n put in neutral...but then light turns green and i'm now at about 30mph...in neutral ready to start accelerating again so for this mph...i put in 3rd gear...the car jerks a bit idk how to say...but if u look at the rpm it jumps up a bit like 600rpm i guess? so this is where rev matching comes into place? so i can downshift to 3rd here..but keep clutch all the way disengaged hit the gas once to bring rpm up then release clutch?
that will stop the jerk feel when i downshift? what rpms am i trying to get up to before i downshift anyways?

what i am explaining here is it bad the way i am downshifting? or must i blip ont he gas to bring up the rpms before downshifting so car wont jerk?

if so...which rpm am i always aiming for every downshift?

Old 03-29-2012, 07:51 PM
1st Gear
Default Rpm's

at about 20 mph you would want to down shirt to 2nd, 3rd drops the rpm's to much is why it is jerking. im not sure on the rpm range. you could listen when your driving when you hear it revving up shift and watch the gauges.

hope this hels

Old 03-29-2012, 08:42 PM
1st Gear

The reason why you're unable to find an absolute answer is because there is no one correct methodology of doing what you're trying to do. The thing is, every car, every situation, every gearbox is different. From my perspective, it sounds like you're being too aggressive with the clutch when you're downshifting. J-U-S-T - G-O - E-A-S-Y on the clutch pedal. Eventually you'll learn almost instinctively where the shift-points/clutch engagement points are for your car, regardless of whether you're accelerating hard or soft, coasting, or decelerating with or without added support from the brakes.

I know it sounds a bit nebulous, but you can learn it pretty easily; my (then 15) year old son cut his teeth on my Mazda (which is far harder to shift smoothly than his A4 2.8), and by the time he turned 16 he was one of the smoothest clutch drivers I've ever known. Long story short, you just need to work on smoothness.