Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What will happen if...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 03:09 PM
Default What will happen if...?

I spoke to the engineer who normally sorts me car out today, He said that theres a lot wrong with the car (1.8 petrol audi A4 1997) and one thing he did notice was that there was a knocking sound coming from the Traction control arms? Now i dont pretend to know a whole heap about cars, in fact i just know how to drive one. He told me that if one or 2 were to break then theres a good chance im gunna roll my car. Now i also dont pretend to follow every law in the book and one that i break on a daily basis is speeding. Considering these 2 facts i imagine that if i was to roll, my life would be in some serious danger. How likely is this to happen? If they do need replacing i was quoted £65 each for the front 2 and 85 for the back (inc 50labour) Is this a standard price or am i getting the raw deal?

Thanks in advance

Crash

Old 08-24-2007, 04:22 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: What will happen if...?

I don't know man, how about you just not fix them. Keep driving it until they break and then we will see if you ever post back here again in a few months.

Go get them fixed you goober. If it were true, is saving that money worth risking your life or even just ruining your car in an accident?????

Control arms breaking is not common. They tend to let you know they are bad before they ever get to the point of serious catestrophic failure. If they did break, you will probably lose control of the car depending on what you are doing (turning etc) and speed. Will you roll it? Maybe, who knows. CA breakage does not mean you will roll the car. Good chance you will loose most of the control of the car and possibly hit something. Even then, you may be able to have one break and be ok, but I would think two breaking at the same time would be a problem. That being said, if they are broken, get them fixed. Torn up CAs can cost you money too (wearing out tires quicker or say overstress other components), so if its broke, get if fixed. Also, Audis are very safe cars. I have seen some destroyed cars on this site where the driver was happy they were driving an Audi and not a Hyundai or they wouldn't be posting anymore.

I don't care to look up the conversion. CAs are different prices depending on what one is bad. Dealer here said$300 for upper front CA. You will get it cheaper at an independant shop, maybe $180-240. Its way cheaper if you DIY.