Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel bearings.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 09:50 PM
1st Gear
Default Wheel bearings.

Hello,

My left rear wheel bearings are starting to make some lovely noise so I will be replacing then with my brake pads this weekend. I went to a parts store in town to order the bearings for it and apparently there are two different styles of the rear axle and we could not determine which kind my car has. The two types were a sealed bearing style, and a tapered roller with pressed in seal. I have a 1998 A4Q 5spd and was wondering if anyone would happen to know what kind is in the car. Greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jacek

Old 02-20-2005, 09:57 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Wheel bearings.

I don't, but check ECS tuning to see what they offer.

Sorry, I've had a few tonight and I'm not in the mood to go searching through my files.

Old 02-22-2005, 02:50 AM
1st Gear

Not being familiar with the Quattro, if that is what the A4Q designates, I'd have to assume the guy with the computer is not looking deep enough.

I think, and could be way off, that the rear bearings should be the same as the front bearings, not exactly, but still a face to face, or back to back, angular contact thrust bearing. Sealed, true, and destroyed when you try to remove it. If so, can be done at home, but you have a job ahead of you. A press, or some other way of pressing the 2 pieces(after removing the hub) is nearly a requirement, unless you have a hollow headed "Porta-Power" type jack head.

The rear bearings on my older 2 wheel drives are the same as Chevy rear wheel drive front wheel bearings. To have CV joints in the rear, I think, would have to have the same, or nearly the same as the front wheels have.

If I'm wrong, and they DID use Timken style bearings, sorry.
Cheers,

George

Quattros are not in my books. Haynes sucks in that respect. And My Bentley book is to old to help, too, though I think Audi probably had all wheel drive since before the publish date of the book.

Old 02-22-2005, 03:04 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info.

Jacek

Old 02-22-2005, 02:47 PM
1st Gear

Go to the dealer and buy it from them. They will have the right one for you. I just had mine done last week. I went to get the bearing from a car parts depot near my home and they gave me the one for the Passat and didn't fit. I went to the dealer and got myself the right one which also include the cotter bolt. You need the cotter bolt replaced because it was stressed and weakened on its first installation. It is a must that you replaced this bolt, otherwise there is a chance of wheel falling off.
You will also need a 14mm allen key in 1/2 inch drive, so you could use your impact gun. Not many mechanic have the 14mm, so you make sure you have one. It took me 1/2 hour driving around to find one. It is available in a set, but it will cost you $$$.
PM me if you need help.

Old 02-23-2005, 02:42 AM
1st Gear

i found a kit that i ordered which included the bearing, bolt, and two snap rings. i got it 2 day shipping for 80 bucks.

Old 02-23-2005, 03:07 AM
Administrator

damn thats a good deal. where did you order it from?

Old 02-23-2005, 12:14 PM
1st Gear

I just got finished replacing my right rear bearing, on a 99. I purchased the bearing from impex then found germanauto has them cheaper.

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Audi/A4/Drivetrain/243/1

the sight isnt coming up right now but I think it was around $53 which included the bolt.

A few other suggestions
You will definately need a press, I recommend at least a 10 ton, or have someone press the bearing for you. I purchased the 14mm allen from autozone it comes in a set of 3, 10mm, 14mm, 17mm I think is what they were. Not more than $5. Make sure you mark where the lower camber bolt position is before taking it out, unless you plan on doing an alignment when you are finisned. Other than that it isnt too bad of a job.