Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 01:47 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Wiper Help!!!

Just go to a car wash... the DIY carwash... I dont imagine they'd be very busy in the rain Hide out in there to apply the rain-x... just bring lots and lots of paper towel... to dry it off, then to apply the rain-x, then to take off the rain-x.

If you can, bring a spray bottle with water... it helps to mist water on it to get the rain-x completely off.

Old 06-04-2005, 02:07 PM
1st Gear

its actually kinda barely misting outside right now here where i am, so i did it... it looks alright, i'll prolly do it again before i leave, hopfully its not raining and i can do it right here at work...

Old 06-04-2005, 03:18 PM
5th Gear

Good man. Yeah... you definately will need to fix the wipers though... if you're mechanically inclined at all, just take your time, and do it up... if you were in the area, i'd be able to help you -- just not for a couple weeks -- im buried in school crap.

Old 06-04-2005, 03:34 PM
1st Gear

thanks dude... ya, i'll prolly try and do it monday when i get back from the cottage... i just hope its not the wiper motor... i talked a mechanic buddy, he said that the linkage seizing up is a common problem on these cars, that he's seen it a bunch of times

Old 06-04-2005, 03:41 PM
5th Gear

Yes sir. Just dont use your wipers, and your motor will be A-ok.

Just remember what I said... there is a little brass coloured link attached to the motor... TRY and leave that connected. The linkage is shaped like a parellogram... that swings back and forth, and the brass link is in the middle. Getting the wiper arms off was a PITA too... I used a pry bar and a piece of wood to pry against, I think. (after removing the caps, and the bolts underneath of course).

But yes... then you'll hammer the linkage apart... and use sandpaper, and lots of cleaner to get the pivots cleaned out... then put the spindles back in the pivots with lots and lots of grease.. i used some silicone lubricant... it is quite thick, and white. Was going to use that ep2 green grease from my grease gun... but went this route instead.

Let me know if you have an issues on monday.

Old 06-04-2005, 03:49 PM
1st Gear

ya man... don't think i'm gonna try it... not the most mechanically inclined, but i can do it after i am showed once kinda deal... either way prolly gonna take it to someone to take a look at it... cuz if it ends up being a motor then i'll definately need someone to do it... thanks man

Old 06-04-2005, 03:52 PM
5th Gear

It wont be the motor... I can assure you. Unless you've been trying to use your wipers when the linkage was seized, the motor should be fine. Took me like 3 hours... so if you take it to your mechanic... he should charge you for 2 - 3 hours of work.

This seizing linkage thing is very very common... my parents old 96 a4 did it too.

After fixing it... my wipers have never been so fast... they had been slow since I bought the car... not slow enough to make me realise there was anything wrong though. but after fixing it, i was suprised how quick they were.

Old 06-04-2005, 04:03 PM
1st Gear

nope, haven't been trying to force the wipers... tried 2-3 times in the morning and left them alone since then, it only started today... i noticed them getting a little slower but wasn't sure if i was just high or really noticing things... either way... i'll have to wait till i get back to deal with it, in the garage maybe

Old 02-27-2006, 01:45 AM

I can't believe this problem is common and requires extensive expenditures....can it be just a lubrication problem? Mine struggle and then stop.

Old 02-27-2006, 02:27 AM
5th Gear

It is good to overhaul them as SOON as they start to slow down... cause once they seize... holy ****... that motor is STRONG.
Like, if it is stopping half way up, or half way down... you can't move the linkage with your hands... you need some leverage. It's insane.

But yeah, take it out, and clean up the spindles and lube em... like I said it's a huge PITA but you gotta do it.