Audi A5 This sleek mid-sized A5 coupe offers performance with a roomy interior.

A5 Automatic Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 04:26 PM
1st Gear
Default A5 Automatic Transmission Problem

Hi,

I'm new to the Audi Forums and unfortunately my first post is related to a problem I have with my almost new Audi. The car is a 2011 A5 w/ premium plus package.

My problem is with the automatic transmission. When the car was around 500 miles the transmission started to be very “jumpy” while switching gears and this was mostly at low speeds (between 15 and 40 mph)

I took the car to Audi's service center and was told that the scanner didn't show any type of problems; in fact they told me they run the scanner twice.

In addition, I was advised by a friend to let the engine adapt to my driving style and that the problem may probably go away.

Today my A5 has around 2,500 miles and the problem not only continues but now I have a new issue: when I start the engine for the first time in the mornings I now hear a sporadic noise for a few seconds when I start driving.

Again the car has not shown any error messages and Audi Service keeps telling me that the car is fine.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Leon

Old 10-06-2011, 04:35 AM
1st Gear
Default Same old .....same old

In September 2007, I took possesion of a brand new Audi A5 coupe. Sortly afterwards it developed an intermittent fault. The drive engaged with a thud in both forward andd reverse gears and the car rolled back when I stopped on a hill.

I took the car back to the main Audi dealership. The put it htrough their diagnostics check and proclaimed their was no fault.

The problem increased in both frequency and severity to the point that when I returned for a second time, the engineer immediately admitted that it was a serious fault, although he was unable to explain it.

I left the car and was subsequently advise that the dealer could not remedy the fault and Audi Germany could not explain it. The solution was to change the gearbox.

Some time later, the fault began to reappear in the same way as with the original gearbox. I took it to the dealer ........ diagnostics ......... no fault detectable ........... here we go again.

Anyway, as luck would have (or not), my company vehicle was due for replacement and approximately two weeks ago, I took delivery of an identical A5 automatic - apart from the engine as the previous one was 1.8L and the new one is 2.0L.

The car has done less than 800 miles and the fault which I experienced on the first car is clearly evident in the new one. Engaging with a thud and yesterday, the car rolled backwards on an incline twice with a few yards.

The car is a leased company vehicle so if the gearbox disintegrates, it's not my problem.

would I pay my own good money for this car - never in a million years.

Don't let them tell you there's no fault with the car. It can't be a coincidence that both of mine suffered the same fault.

I would add that Audi's response to the problem has been woeful.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:26 PM
1st Gear
Default Transmission problem

Has there been a remedy to transmission issue? It sounds identical to the operation of the tranny in my 2011 A4. I have taken it back to the dealer 4 times, including once with the factory rep. They reinstalled the software, forced an adaptation and continue to maintain that it is fine. It isn't. The problem is not continual, but when it appears it will manifest itself for a day or two.