Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02' 2.7t 130k - loud humming when I accelerate

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 10:06 AM
Default 02' 2.7t 130k - loud humming when I accelerate

It has been very cold outside (30F or less) and for the past two days the car makes a loud humming whenever I accelerate. The noise does not go away, and the harder I push on the gas the louder the noise. The best way to describe it is that there is a baby under the hood whining very high pitch and continuously. Please offer any advise or suggestions before I bring it to the shop.
Thank you!

Old 02-09-2010, 12:38 PM
3rd Gear

There are lots of things under the hood than spin and can "whine". First, I hope you're running a good synthetic oil to protect your turbos. They spin the fastest and need a good clean oil bath to protect them. Other sources are the water pump and power steering pump, which can become noisier as it gets colder and tolerances shrink. I would suspect the noise is coming from the power steering. Check to ensure your fluids are full.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:55 PM

I have an Audi mechanic change my oil regularly and he puts full synthetic in it whenever it is changed. My next change is due at 133k but it was put in at 127k (i am currently at 130k), and it is getting low and dark when i checked it this morning. I am tempted to schedule a change early, but don't want to do unnecessary maintainence. I will check all fluids after work. If it were coming from the power stearing fluid, would it get louder/higher pitch when I accelerate? I guess because the whining intensity directly correlates to how much I accelerate, i would think it had something to do with the Turbo's or maybe a boost leak. Is that a possiblity?

Old 02-09-2010, 04:01 PM
3rd Gear

I suspect something that spins is causing the whine, and the higher the engine revs the faster stuff spins. Yes, it could be the turbos, but I hope not because they are expensive to replace. Typical signs of bad turbos are oil in the lines and loss of power -- do a search in the forum for more info. I've never had a boost or a vacuum leak, but I would imagine a whistle rather than a whine plus loss of power. With the car running, check under the hood and listen to the stuff being powered by the serpentine belt. I've heard whining from my power steering when the fluid was low or when the car was real cold (talking below zero, not just below freezing). I think I've read posts about it whining when there was an air leak in the P/S unit -- again, search is your friend.

Or, maybe, just a normal noise that you noticed for the first time.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:34 AM

Drivers side turbo... Happy Valentines Day to me. Definitely not a dozen roses.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:38 AM

Okay, i need some advice before i make a decision... please someone tell me if i am being jerked around.

Dealer wants $3700 for the job to replace both turbos (because apparently you shouldn't replace just one at this high of milage..??)

$950 per turbo -
$1400 in labor
$330 for the oil lines if necessary
$70 for oil, filter, etc..

Suggestions??
Anyone know a good/reliable mechanic in Upstate NY that may not charge as much?
This sucks.
Thanks.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by DeliaLovesHerAudi
Okay, i need some advice before i make a decision... please someone tell me if i am being jerked around.

Dealer wants $3700 for the job to replace both turbos (because apparently you shouldn't replace just one at this high of milage..??)

$950 per turbo -
$1400 in labor
$330 for the oil lines if necessary
$70 for oil, filter, etc..

$950 is a good price for a Borg W. turbo. labor price is spot on. It's a good price for an indy shop. you have to drop the motor and subframe or pull the motor from the front of the car to replace the turbo. Ask him to replace the Timing belt, accessory belt, water pump, cam seals, crank seal, tensioners, and thermostat while he has the motor out.