Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 4.2 no start

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 08:29 PM
Edo
1st Gear
Default 02 4.2 no start

Guys, looking for some clues here. Drove the car to the store, car ran great. Come out maybe 15 minutes later and I think it started for a moment and died. The check"OK" symbol came on, which it normally does.

It seemed like it was trying to fire at first.

I am charging the battery right now, I stupidly ran it a little low.

Car has 142,000, timing belt was done (again) last year when the cam tensioners were replaced. The car died in a similar fashion 14 months ago and it was the crank sensor.

I am not 100 % certain, but I don't think I am getting fuel. I loosened the fitting at the rail, expecting to see it spray. Nothing. The fuel filter was replaced a few weeks ago. Once the battery gets charged, I'll listen for the pump cycling when I turn on the key.

Is either the pump or perhaps a relay a weak spot. I don't recall reading anything.

Update:

The fuel pump cannot be heard running. Also, no fuel sprays out of the hose at the rail. The fuse is good and the engine will fire when I squirted a small of of gasoline into the intake after the MAF sensor. So, I need to squeeze low under the dash and check the fuel pump relay. The car is too tight against the wall to allow the door to open far enough.

It would seem odd for a pump to outright die. It has not been noisy, either

thanks Ed

Last edited by Edo; 09-28-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:43 PM
Edo
1st Gear

It is looking like it may be pump related. I put 12 volts from the albeit weak battery (the charge did not charge overnight) to terminals 1 and 4. Nothing. Pulled the connector and checked the harness side for voltage. The light does go on when the motor cranks. I only get a short crank as the battery is weak. I will double check pump with another battery when I get another car home. I really hate not having a spare car. It would be nice not to have to, but it would make life easier