Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'02 A6 4.2L experiencing heavy jerking, loss of steering - break down

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 11:09 PM
Default '02 A6 4.2L experiencing heavy jerking, loss of steering - break down

So far I've had my car for 3 years (bought it used in 06) and I've had no problems with it at all save for a pesky passenger side window that doesn't go back up. Earlier today when driving, my car started to jerk strongly when I was accelerating, going forward of its own accord much stronger than I intended and reeling back a little.. with it becoming worse and worse I pulled over into a parking lot. This is when everything effed up and all of a sudden I couldn't steer the car anymore as it refused to turn and I could no longer accelerate or brake. It reeled to a sudden stop and I turned it off. I waited a bit before I turned it back on again and quickly pulled into a parking spot.

So I'm gonna wait and get it towed to the mechanic tomorrow, but any of you guys have any idea what's going on/what to expect? My current feeling is something's wrong with the vacuum like potentially a leak? I had to have the hose replaced a couple months back as a result of an engine check light but it was working fine for that period the light was on.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:20 PM
2nd Gear

Here are my guesses

1) Siezed caliper, holding brake on

2) Wheel bearing blown and or siezed

3) Center bolt loosened and CV pushed out

Is the wheel straight or tilted? if it is tilted your control arms. I think you would have mentioned that the wheel almost fell off though.

The CV joints themselves would have made a serious racket and clicking that you would have known about.

It's mechanical not vacuum.