Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 09:40 AM
1st Gear
Default 02 headlight problem

Can anyone tell me how I can test the igniter for my headlight? My bulb went out after it was getting some moisture inside the headlight. I purchased a new bulb but it didn't work. Could I have done something wrong? Any ideas?

Old 05-27-2007, 12:25 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: 02 headlight problem

Unfortunetly testing the output voltage from the balast is not possible with a multi-meter (to my knowledge) since it outputs something like 20k volts. The only thing I can think of would be to test the voltage at your battery and then test it at the balast. If your battery has 12.4v your balast should be receiving 12.4v as well.

Just an fyi, hid bulbs generally don't just burn out, they slowly change colors until they are a red/orange sometimes green/yellow in color before eventually dieing.

You should replace your hid bulbs in pairs. They change colors over time, it is generally not that noticable, but you might notice you new bulb looks a little different in color than the old one. In time they will look alike though. I believe it takes around 100 hours for an hid bulb to reach its true color. Then again, it really isn't that important, I am just being ****.

Jeff

Old 05-28-2007, 09:31 AM
1st Gear

What else could be wrong that would make the headlight not work. Can I assume that it's the ballast/igniter? Should I just replace it? I would like to fix this myself if possible. Also, I read that you should disconnect the battery when replacing the bulb, which I didn't do. Does that have anything to do with my problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 05-28-2007, 11:04 AM
3rd Gear

Yes disconnect the battery, but you didn't do any damage. I would swap the ballasts from side to side to see if that fixes the problem. If it does you need a ballast, if it doesn't you have a power supply problem. More than likely the ballast is dead, I would look on ebay, the dealer wants too much money for them.

I would assume that any DS2(oem) hid system could use any other oem ballast. If that is true, you could buy any oem hid ballast off ebay, not just an Audi one. They should all put out the same specs since they all use the same type and brand of bulbs. The only difference I could see would be the connectors, but I'm pretty sure they are the same as well. Another option would be to buy an aftermarket ballast and DS2 bulb as a kit for both sides, this will still be cheaper than buying one ballast fron the dealer, not sure how the wiring would go since you have factory hids though.

Jeff

Old 05-31-2007, 11:48 AM
1st Gear

Can anyone tell me the easiest way to access the headlight ballast on the drivers side? I'm trying to replace it, but I can only get a glimpse of it from underneath and I can't figure out how to get at it from above. Please help!!

Old 05-31-2007, 12:52 PM
1st Gear

Never mind. Figured out how to pull headlight assmbly out. Just needed an extra set of hands.