Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 A6 Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 09:57 AM
1st Gear

Can you give me a heads up on which extra tools I will need to buy? I already have the beer.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:52 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by joeholms
Can you give me a heads up on which extra tools I will need to buy? I already have the beer.
Honestly, I'm not too sure what's needed as far as extra standard tools go. I do know that your camshaft and crank locking tools are different and cost a bit more ($130+ shipping just for the camshaft holding and cranking locking pin). So tool rental could be a better alternative.
Audi Tools - Audi Timing Belt Tools - Rental Kit

That extra $500 deposit just to rent the tool is crazy though. I understand you get the deposit back once you return the tools.. but damn! On the other hand I guess that's great motivation to get the job done ASAP and not leave your car sitting in the garage disassembled for weeks.

AudiWorld Tech Articles
This DIY doesn't make mention of anything special that isn't included with the tool rental. But I've never actually put my hands on a 3.0 motor, so it's not anything I can guarantee. From working on my car, the must haves seem to be metric torx bits, Hex bits and Sockets. As Nebuchadnezzar mentioned above, triple square bolts are scattered throughout, as well as 12-point bolts(steering rack bolts).

Breaker bars, extensions and extended bits help also, along with a vast array curse words.

But from the reviews I've read here and there on the forums, the Blauparts instructions are top notch. So even though it's bit more involved than our 2.8/2.7t motors, it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:25 PM
2nd Gear

Believe it or not, there's not a ton of tools needed for the timing belt jobs on our cars. The lock bars and pins on the 3.0 are pretty much a must. On the 2.8 and 2.7T we can get away without the cam lock bar if you're careful and know what you're doing. The 3.0 is a little more tricky.

A 10mm socket and various extensions come in handy, a decent set of allen wrenches and/or allen sockets are used, torx bits for the lock carrier, and a few adjustable wrenches for the power steering lines should get the job done for you. Oh, and maybe a phillips head and a flat head screw driver for random screws (Intake, air damn, etc). You're also need a 32 mm wrench for the viscus fan hub nut, and something to hold the pulley while you turn the wrench. I would recommend a sturdy strap wrench from Sears. Oh, and I think a 17mm socket for your serpatine belt tensioner.

But as indicated, those Audi-specific tools are going to be a life saver for you.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:01 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar
Believe it or not, there's not a ton of tools needed for the timing belt jobs on our cars. The lock bars and pins on the 3.0 are pretty much a must. On the 2.8 and 2.7T we can get away without the cam lock bar if you're careful and know what you're doing. The 3.0 is a little more tricky.

A 10mm socket and various extensions come in handy, a decent set of allen wrenches and/or allen sockets are used, torx bits for the lock carrier, and a few adjustable wrenches for the power steering lines should get the job done for you. Oh, and maybe a phillips head and a flat head screw driver for random screws (Intake, air damn, etc). You're also need a 32 mm wrench for the viscus fan hub nut, and something to hold the pulley while you turn the wrench. I would recommend a sturdy strap wrench from Sears. Oh, and I think a 17mm socket for your serpatine belt tensioner.

But as indicated, those Audi-specific tools are going to be a life saver for you.
I don't even think the 3.0 motor has a viscous fan like the rest of the motors. It's pure madness I tell you!

Old 10-28-2013, 08:46 PM
1st Gear

Hello,

I had a broken serpentine belt tensioner last week. Its spring's end got stuck between pulleys and started to wear the serpentine belt. I bought the tensioner and serpentine belt. I thought I might better replace timing belt as well. I just don't know if the previous owner had it replaced before. I have tried to find out but I have not been successful on that. The car has 90k miles. I guess a broken tensioner is a sign that timing belt service might not have been performed yet.

I just wanted to ask you guys if you could have any guess by looking at the pictures of the timing belt. Any quick comment would be appreciated. Thanks in advance !

I will get the enhanced timing belt package for my car 2003 Audi A6 3L from Blauparts (Audi A6 Timing Belt Kit - 2002-04 w/ 6 Cylinder 3.0L Engine - Enhanced). I will probably rent the tool kit from them. I am not sure but it looks like they have increased the prices of the timing belt kit and tool rental amounts. I am not sure though.

Thanks,

Attached Thumbnails 03 A6 Timing Belt-100_8628.jpg   03 A6 Timing Belt-100_8621.jpg   03 A6 Timing Belt-100_8620.jpg   03 A6 Timing Belt-100_8615.jpg  
Old 10-29-2013, 02:45 AM
2nd Gear

On the timing cover bolts you should have seen or noticed paint on them. If you saw paint, then chances are the service had not been done yet. If you did not see paint, then chances are the service was done.

Those pictures really don't do justice to determining the exact condition of the belt.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:33 PM
1st Gear

I am in the process of replaing my timing belt. When I took the belt off, what appears to be some sort of a spacer fell off from somewhere. Anybody know where this goes. I will take a picture of it, but I wonder if ig goes between the timing belt cover and the block?

Old 11-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Tech Certified

ATQ,s all day long , AVK,s are a PITA! You will need valve cover gaskets , timing belt , tensioner , tensioner lever , idler pulley & water pump & new g001200 coolant.
Good lucK!

Old 11-02-2013, 04:07 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar
On the timing cover bolts you should have seen or noticed paint on them. If you saw paint, then chances are the service had not been done yet. If you did not see paint, then chances are the service was done.

Those pictures really don't do justice to determining the exact condition of the belt.
Thank you. I will check the bolts then. From outside, I have not seen any paint other than yellow points.
For people trying to just replace the tensioner, you need to remove the bumper cover and pull the radiator block a little bit forward to do the work. I did my best to do the work without removing the from bumper; however, I was not able to put the tensioner in that limited space. So, to save time start by removing the front bumper cover. Fyi, I removed the stering pump pulley.

Attached Thumbnails 03 A6 Timing Belt-100_8638.jpg   03 A6 Timing Belt-100_8643.jpg  
Old 11-11-2013, 01:50 AM
1st Gear

I was following the instructions on AudiWorld Tech Articles. I have almost completed. I still have camshaft lockers on. However, after being done with replacing timing belt, water pump, timing belt tensioner, thermostat, idler pulley eccentric pulley, and timing belt tensioner pulley, and putting the rear cover, I realized that crank pulley is not alinged with the TDC line anymore. I have attached the pictures. I guess I need to loosen the camshaft pulleys and rotate crank without rotating the camshafts (where lockers are still engaged). I bought the enhanced timing belt kit from Blauparts. I have some issues with it but no need to talk about it. I also have the tool kit from them.

I wonder if anyone had the same problem before. Do you suggest anything ?

Thank you,

Attached Thumbnails 03 A6 Timing Belt-100_8679.jpg   03 A6 Timing Belt-100_8674.jpg   03 A6 Timing Belt-100_8675.jpg   03 A6 Timing Belt-100_8676.jpg   03 A6 Timing Belt-100_8677.jpg  

Quick Reply: 03 A6 Timing Belt