Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

19" WHEELS and Sport suspension.. Drivability issues??

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 05:20 PM
1st Gear
Default 19" WHEELS and Sport suspension.. Drivability issues??

Are there any real world challenges to this combo, or is itbusiness as usual?

Old 11-03-2006, 06:09 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: 19" WHEELS and Sport suspension.. Drivability issues??

With 19's your ride will feel like a go-cart on a bumpy road...No more plush ride. Go with 18's and bigger sway bars. Do a search..this has been a topic of controversy many times. Good Luck!!

Old 11-03-2006, 07:05 PM
1st Gear

I have 19's on my car. There is no doubt that the ride is rougher. 18's will of course be smoother.

I do not think the ride on 19's is as bad as people think though. I have not performed any mods to my suspension yet.

My personal experiences!

OOOO

Old 11-03-2006, 08:31 PM
2nd Gear

As others have said, this is both a personal and a controversial issue.

The debate always seems to be either "Do I go with 17 or 18 inch wheels?" or "Do I go with 18 or 19 inch wheels?" The arguments against going with the larger size are the SAME no matter how the question is phrased... "Go with the larger size and you run the risk of bent rims, the ride will be harsher, and you'll have to pay more for wheels and tires without getting any real performance benefit (may even take some away due to greater weight)." Similarly, the argument for going large is also the same "It will look better."

So, what do you want? If you're going for a particular look and you want to go large, go for it. Don't let anybody fool you though -- you WILL pay the price for it:
- Larger wheels weigh more and this will adversely affect performance (unless you spend BIG bucks and go with a high quality forged wheel)
- Larger wheels will offer less protection from bent rims (again, unless you spend the big bucks and buy a higher quality wheel)
- Larger wheels will require you to spend more money on lower profile tires
- Larger wheels will ride harsher
- Larger wheel sizes require you to stay TOTALLY on top of tire pressure; let it run low and you'll be buying new rims every year

This is offset by the benefits of going large:
- Better turn in (though you reach a point of diminishing returns on this very quickly due to increased wheel weight -- most people feel that this argument falls apart above 18")
- Many people like the look (others don't)

With that overview, consider that 19" is on the extreme end of the argument. 20" wheels on an A6 are NEVER used by anybody who cares about anything other than looks. Price, performance, ride all fall into a black hole of silliness at that level.

I run 16x7"s in winter (when narrower tires are preferred in snow country) and 17x8"s in the summer. My 17s are very high quality, very light (the lightest cast wheel they made) BBS wheels. As such, I don't worry about bent rims (even living on pothole ridden New England roads) and enjoy great turn-in performance from a fairly low profile tire (45 aspect ratio). Gong larger would produce little benefit for me (not a fan of the slammed and banded look) and only reduce ride quality (I have the sport suspension and it's plenty firm enough), add cost, and slow me down (light wheels improve acceleration).

So, with all that as context, you decide. If you go for the 19s"s and live in a place where the roads are other than glass smooth, you better start getting used to zig-zagging. The upside is, you'll provide excellent entertainment for others on the road. I always get a kick out of seeing people with 19" wheels zig zagging all over the road to avoid the slightest road imperfections.

Good luck.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:37 PM
3rd Gear

I have 18's on mine and they fit perfect. Absolutely no change in the ride of the vehicle. I didn't want to go with the 19's due to the ride.

Old 11-05-2006, 06:03 PM

I have 19" rims on my 4.6 Sport. I also added some H&K coilovers and lowered it. The car rides great but I have to keep a close eye on my low-profile tires to keep air about 38 PSI.

Old 11-07-2006, 03:31 PM
1st Gear

We definitely have some smart folks here. We are truely blessed!

I use Continentals Contact Sport II tires on my 19's. They are great tires and they really help my ride quality.

I check my tire pressure once a month religously. The roads here in MD are not too bad, but there are areas of course where you need to use extreme caution, especially at night!

I can surely tell you that I would make Southboros day, because I absolutely go around the potholes when I am in those areas!

You gotta do what ya gotta do!

All in all, I am pleased overall with my ride considering what I have underneath!

OOOO

Old 11-07-2006, 05:35 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: SouthboroAudiGuy

As others have said, this is both a personal and a controversial issue.

The debate always seems to be either "Do I go with 17 or 18 inch wheels?" or "Do I go with 18 or 19 inch wheels?" The arguments against going with the larger size are the SAME no matter how the question is phrased... "Go with the larger size and you run the risk of bent rims, the ride will be harsher, and you'll have to pay more for wheels and tires without getting any real performance benefit (may even take some away due to greater weight)." Similarly, the argument for going large is also the same "It will look better."

So, what do you want? If you're going for a particular look and you want to go large, go for it. Don't let anybody fool you though -- you WILL pay the price for it:
- Larger wheels weigh more and this will adversely affect performance (unless you spend BIG bucks and go with a high quality forged wheel)
- Larger wheels will offer less protection from bent rims (again, unless you spend the big bucks and buy a higher quality wheel)
- Larger wheels will require you to spend more money on lower profile tires
- Larger wheels will ride harsher
- Larger wheel sizes require you to stay TOTALLY on top of tire pressure; let it run low and you'll be buying new rims every year

This is offset by the benefits of going large:
- Better turn in (though you reach a point of diminishing returns on this very quickly due to increased wheel weight -- most people feel that this argument falls apart above 18")
- Many people like the look (others don't)

With that overview, consider that 19" is on the extreme end of the argument. 20" wheels on an A6 are NEVER used by anybody who cares about anything other than looks. Price, performance, ride all fall into a black hole of silliness at that level.

I run 16x7"s in winter (when narrower tires are preferred in snow country) and 17x8"s in the summer. My 17s are very high quality, very light (the lightest cast wheel they made) BBS wheels. As such, I don't worry about bent rims (even living on pothole ridden New England roads) and enjoy great turn-in performance from a fairly low profile tire (45 aspect ratio). Gong larger would produce little benefit for me (not a fan of the slammed and banded look) and only reduce ride quality (I have the sport suspension and it's plenty firm enough), add cost, and slow me down (light wheels improve acceleration).

So, with all that as context, you decide. If you go for the 19s"s and live in a place where the roads are other than glass smooth, you better start getting used to zig-zagging. The upside is, you'll provide excellent entertainment for others on the road. I always get a kick out of seeing people with 19" wheels zig zagging all over the road to avoid the slightest road imperfections.

Good luck.
South, what do you consider "light" rims and what do you consider "heavy" rims? What do your 17's weigh?

Old 11-08-2006, 12:16 AM
2nd Gear

The BBS RK weighs 16.5 lbs in the 17x8" size.