Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 A6 questions from a new guy

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 01:10 PM
1st Gear
Default 1996 A6 questions from a new guy

This is my first Audi, 1996 A6 Quattro Wago with 99,500 miles on it. I just changed the oil last night (could they make that shield any harder to get on!!!) and while taking off the old oil filter I had to use more force then any other oil filter I have ever removed before. Then, while putting the new one on (Fram 8994 I think it was) I had to tighten it extreamly tight to get it to stop leaking oil. Anyway, below are my questions, let me know if I am unclear on anything.

1) What is the best oil filter to use?
2) How do I reset the In-2 light on my tripomiter
3) Is there suppose to be lights that light up down by the gear shifter?
4) The lights on the right side of my Automatic Climate control don't light up, should they?
5) Now that it is approaching 100k, what other service things should I do? Plugs, wires, new antifreeze, tranny fluid, etc?
6) Where can I get a receiver hitch?

Thanks so much everyone, I look forward to more input on this site.

Old 02-22-2006, 02:44 AM
Default RE: 1996 A6 questions from a new guy

OMG I SOOOO AGREE WITH YOU ON THE SHIELD!!! I felt like blowing my car up, it really is unnecessary. The hard part isnt getting it off but getting it on. Anyways, I also have a 1996 Audi A6 (no quattro ). I can help you with question number 5. My car recently hit 100k and right after I bought it (around 97k) the transmission did not shift as smoothly as I would liked it to have. I changed the transmission fluid and filter and now it runs like a champ.

Old 02-22-2006, 12:24 PM
2nd Gear

Catt, didn't I answer some of these questions already?
Mann filter, synthetic 5w-40 oil (Mobil1, Amsol)
fill the filter as much as you can befor putting on, wet the rubber seal on the filter with some oil.

a tranny service is about $200, but worth it.

find a indie german/audi mechanic.

Old 02-25-2006, 04:12 AM
1st Gear

First off, also see Audiworld.com where the C4 owners have our own forum.
1) Get that Fram filter off immediately. You will find lots on the internet about the dangers of using Fram filters on german cars, which I learned first hand when a filter destructed inside and screwed my friends Jetta engine. Any mechanic will yell if they see a Fram on there. At the store you can buy a Mobil 1 filter, or better buy the OEM Mann through the dealer or a place like germanautoparts.com. Just remember it should be only a solid hand tight back on. Also, keep in mind that there is oil around the outside of the screw mount when you put a new filter back on that will seep through for a few minutes looking like a leak. If its stops dripping in a few minutes its not a leak. You don't need to fill the filter first unless you want a bigger mess, but you do need to wet the seal with oil.
Mobil 1 0W-40 is the Audi approved oil, but 5W-40 should be ok if you live in a more temperate climate. But you can use dino oil too.

I've found the shield/belly pan fairly easy to get on, so I won't comment there because perhaps something is misaligned on yours. 2 screws up front, 3 in the rear, and 1 on each side in the wheel well. The front of the shield slides above the fender lip up front.

2) You need a VAG-COM connector and software to connect up, or just have any shop do it. Ln-1 is regular service reminder, Ln-2 was something else and is listed in the owners manual. I can't remember right now what it was.
3) Yes, the gear shifter lights and the temp gauge lights are known to go out. See here for the replacement proceedure which isn't that bad:
http://www.12v.org/maintenance/repairs/backlight.php (the underlines in text are links to pics)
The 2 pack bulb replacements are $1.50 at radio shack. Oh wait, do you mean in the indicator in the dash, or down at the actual gear lever. Those are supposed to light up too. Again search Audiworld.

4) Yes they should, and I think someone has done this. Audiworld C4 forum best place to search and then ask if nothing found.

5) Make sure the timing belt has been changed. If you don't have absolute proof positive record of this, then unfortunately you must do it or risk destroying the engine any day (well, about a $2500 repair job). Your antifreeze should be fine as long as its pink and you're not overheating. Brown is not good and you should do a complete coolant flush.
Plugs are cheap and easy, so just do them. Get the original NGK 3-prong or Bosch super 3-prong. (Napa carries them). Then you have things like brake fluid, which is every 2 years period. You probably also have cracks in the lower control arm bushings. Don't worry aout these yet until they atart making noise. Check all the CV joint boots. Make sure tires front to rear are within 4/32" in tread depth to each other. Outside that can wreck the Quattro system - this is all in the manual.

6) Uhaul is a good place for that. They install hitches on any car.

Enjoy

Old 03-27-2006, 01:27 PM
1st Gear

Wow, lots of good info. Thanks again.