Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A couple questions; 1996 A6

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 09:45 PM
Default A couple questions; 1996 A6

Hi there, I just recently joined and put up a new post in the New Member Area.

It looks like this is a pretty active forum. Is this the best place on the web for info on this '96 Audi, or are there other sites that deal more with the older Audis?

I've noticed a few dash lights in this car are burnt out, but I'm not sure whether some things are supposed to be lit or not.
The area that shows what gear the auto transmission is in, is that supposed to be lit? The one on the dash and the center console. Neither are lit right now.
Also, are all the needles lit on the oil temp, voltage gauge, and clock? Right now only one of the 3 needles is lit.
Are there fader/balance controls for the radio? And is the owner's manual supplement that Bentley sells for this car the radio manual?
Since the winter is coming, if anyone has any recommendations on either a good all-season tire that does snow well, or a good snow tire that isn't too expensive, that'd be great too.

Any things I should be aware of either? Such as maintenance issues or common problems?

Thanks for any info you have. Don't worry, I do know how to search, so I'll do that too!

Anyway, kind of excited about this car, and hope it's fairly reliable.
I'm a diy maintenance kind of guy too, so I'm hoping this car still lets me be the mechanic sometimes.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:15 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: A couple questions; 1996 A6

I had a 96 A6 Auto and had some of those instrument cluster issues. There was a recall I think, Audi chnaged some parts. Then I had to chnage a few bulbs which are cheap but had to remove the whole dash... pain in the butt.
if you mess wiht the key while it is in, does it make some of the lights come on or off?

Old 10-06-2007, 01:17 PM
Default RE: A couple questions; 1996 A6

I checked with the dealer, and they have replaced the ignition switch because the starter would engage when the car was running. So, maybe that fixed the problem you are referring to. I haven't noticed the lightschanging when putting the keyin or taking it outso far though.

So, when you say the whole dash, you mean the entire upper dash?!? Like all the way to the passenger side too? If so, I may just leave them out, haha.