Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Audi A6 Quattro Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 01:01 AM
Default 1997 Audi A6 Quattro Problems

Hello all, I just recently purchased a 1997 Audi A6 Quattro, and didn't notice a few problems until after my 4 hour dive home from the dealer.
First on my laundry list of issues is my power locks.
Whenever I try to lock or unlock my car using either the drivers side door lock or the FOB, the car does not lock. It does recognize the signal, by A) lights turn on B) when locking the green arrows flash once and C) Even though pressing these buttons doesn't cause it to lock, I hear a distinctive humming noise coming from the rear passenger side door. The pitch of this hum has a different sound for pressing the lock or pressing unlock. Any clue there on why the car can get the signal, its just the car doesn't lock?

Next is cruise control. During my 4 hour trip home from Chicago I was able to get the cruise to work twice. Every other time I used it, it seemed that it would hold the speed for a split second, but then drop down. I saw on this website, ConsumerGuide
and that it listed this as a problem, Cruise control: The cruise control fails to hold the set speed due to vacuum servo failure. (1995)
so is this an easy repair, or something that will be expensive?

Next up is a wire that hangs down from the very back of the roof of the car. What is it? I have no clue. It seems like maybe an antenna?

And finally, going through Iowa City, there was some heavy road construction, and some massive braking, during that time my check engine light turned on, and has since stayed on. Then after looking through the book once I got home, I noticed that even at the dealer the saying, "In 2" was flashing over the trip odometer. But the the service flashing appeared before the check engine. Also, not sure if this is related, but the car is a few hundred miles short of needing an oil change.

I'm not sure how to solve any of these, and I would like to have some sort of idea before I take the 30min trip to Iowa City to have the audi dealer take a look.

Thanks!

Old 09-11-2011, 06:45 PM
1st Gear

Power locks use a vacume pump (air activated locks, not electric like most cars) so the sound you hear is the pump working under back seat (two big screws in front to the seats and then just pull up). There must be a leak in the system so the air is just going elsewhere.

In 2 is just telling you to have the maintenance due, nothing major mine does it all the time, just ignore.

Check engine could be anything, have the code read (mine comes on for an O2 sensor so i floor it a little and then eventually goes off when i start the car later)

Wire hanging down could be many things (trunk light? is this a wagon?) or the antenna unless your antenna is in the windshield?