Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Audi A-6 steering noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 09:30 PM
1st Gear
Angry 1998 Audi A-6 steering noise

Fellow audiphiles,
I am in need of some advice. I own a 1998 A-6 (C-5) and when I turn the steering to the right it makes a "chirping" noise/sound while turning. That happens intermittently and only while turning the steering to the right. It never happens while turning left. I had the power steering pump check and I was told it was just fine. Also no front end suspension problems either. No power steering oil leaks or low power steering oil reservoir levels. Also the power steering belt is brand new and appropriately tighten. I am frustrated because I do not know what to do next. Does anyone have any advice?? Has anyone else experienced a similar situation and what did they do about it?? Any other ideas as of what it could possibly be causing the noise?? I appreciate any and all responses. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by AudiDriverA-6; 02-21-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:48 AM
2nd Gear

Just some things that come to mind that I would have a look at.

1st have some one turn the wheel and stick your head in there. locate the area of the problem!!!

Can you feel the chirps in the steering wheel?

rack going bad

power steering lines loose

power steering crush washers bad

power steering fluid too cold and not G4000, Is it foamy? Is it low?

Control arm bushings bad

Old 02-22-2011, 11:02 PM
1st Gear

Lets see now:

The chirp is definitely not coming from the steering ; it appears to be coming somewhere from the passenger side dash section.
Rack going bad? Shouldn't I feel/see other symptoms other then the chirping if indeed that were the case? The steering otherwise works well.
Power steering lines loose? Should I have seen some oil leak of sorts. Or lower levels of fluid in the power steering reservoir? Level is exactly where it should be.
Power steering crush washers bad? Possibly. Should there be power steering fluid escaping from the area?
Power steering fluid is not foamy. I do not know if it is G 4000 exactly although it is new. The noise still occurs even after I drive the car for a while. Ofcourse how warm does a car get in the middle of the bitter winter that Michigan is in the mist of right now?
Control arms bushings (control arms in general) were changed and are brand new on both sides since last October (2010).
I truly appreciate you taking the time and answering my thread; I thank you very much for that.