Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.7L question

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 10:22 PM
1st Gear
Default 2.7L question

Hey guys over the past few days i have been putting a newer 2.7L T into my a6 as my other motor had a crack inside cylinder 1 flooding it with coolant. so i ordered a motor with 40k miles on it. Today i just got done reinstalling new motor, and reassembling and rewiring everything. My battery was toast would not take a charge at the autoshop.

So i got a new everstart 94R battery today i put it in went to hook up the battery cables and immediately upon touching the positive to positive terminal on battery there was smoke, and cable got very hot. and light smoke came from starter Solenoid area.

Im sure the solenoid is fried now, and i think i hooked up the grounds on the starter wrong, what i mean by this is i may have put a ground on the positive braid going to the starter from the solenoid. It was too dark outside to start tearing the car down enough to get at the starter tonight, but i will be tomorrow.

Does anyone have a good diagram or even some pictures of the correct wiring arrangement. I also dont see a spot to hook a ground up with alternator am i missing something? I have the large body ground, 1 other large ground, a smaller ground i think, then the plug for alternator and solenoid. I am going to order the new starter w/solenoid tonight, unless u guys think it may have survived this ordeal.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:28 PM
1st Gear

R/R for an '02 2.7 with the AJK engine (filled in the left out info blindly), hopefully it applies to your setup.

I don't have any hands on knowledge with the wiring to starter on the C5 (yet lol), so try to hold out for one of veterans techies to chime in if you can.

Last edited by OGBULLYLOCDAWG; 06-04-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:46 AM
2nd Gear

Since no power flowed through either the solenoid or the starter, I would venture to guess they were not affected by this faux pax. Hook up the wires correctly and give it a try. At this point, you probably just melted some insulation and will need some electrical tape in strategic places.

Good luck,

Bob

Old 06-05-2011, 08:16 AM
1st Gear

Thanks OG those pics will work fine, the setup is a little different but same general setup as far as hooking up to solenoid.

Originally Posted by bob martin
Since no power flowed through either the solenoid or the starter, I would venture to guess they were not affected by this faux pax. Hook up the wires correctly and give it a try. At this point, you probably just melted some insulation and will need some electrical tape in strategic places.

Good luck,

Bob
Thanx for the response Bob, yea most of the heat went to battery cables, ill pull the alternator out and take a look at the wiring to the solenoid, will any electrical tape work or is there a specific grade tape i need to get? I also ordered a starter w/solenoid just in case, mine has bout 136k on it so just to be safe i ordered one.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:11 AM
1st Gear

Ok i took the front end back off the car, pulled the alternator i can see the outer hard plastic insulator is melted, as well as the small blue wire, i did have the grounds hooked up wrong, with 1 going to positive lead on solenoid, and didnt hook up ground to alternator but both to the starter. Im hoping the starter is ok as you said bob i am going to cut back the insulation back up to the terminal and repair any open wire, im thinking that since i caught it so fast there isnt much dmg if any to the inner wires. Ill let ya know how i make out in about an hour or so

Old 06-05-2011, 12:01 PM
1st Gear

Ok so i cut the hard plastic insulator off the entire wire only the blue wires insulator was somewhat dmged about 90% of the wire had to be taped up, rehooked up the wiring the right way this time, put the negative on battery, and touched the positive to positive terminal no smoke, just the initial spark put the positive down on terminal left it for about a minute to inspect for smoke or sparking wire nothing, terminal wire was cold as ice still, so im positive it is hooked up and grounded correctly this time, going to reassemble front end hook up all connections and attempt to crank the car over. Thanx for you 2 guys help, very much appreciated.