Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.7T looseing coolant Help !

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 01:27 PM
1st Gear
Default 2.7T looseing coolant Help !

I have a 2000 A6 2.7T. I first started noticeing a coolant smell after i got out of the car. Then the Low coolant indicator came on. So i started to get this bad feeling that my turbos were going bad. So i started reading up in the forums about coolant leaks.

the turbos do have coolant feeding through them as well as oil for lubrication, theres a afterun coolant pump that sits under the intake that leaks. the best way to check it is to pull your engine cover off and look down in the valley tray area for coolant. last time i did turbos on a 2.7 i dropped the whole subframe engine tranny and all. also check the pressure side of the intake lines for excessive oil.

So i took this guys advice and took off my engine cover and looked down into there with a flashlight. Sure enough i can see coolant pooling up way down there. So This leads me to believe That i have a afterrun coolant pump that is leaking. Is this a huge Job to do ? Also i was wondering what this pump does? Any help would be great i am thinking about tackeling this Job solo

Thanks guys !

Old 12-03-2005, 06:51 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 2.7T looseing coolant Help !

It does exactly what the name is

Afterrun coolant pump

Not a fun job you have to lift up the intake a bit, unless you can get in there frome the back

Old 12-03-2005, 09:01 PM
3rd Gear

Its not a huge job but a major pain in the ***. You have to remove the intake manifold to get to the pump. The pump almost always sticks to the hoses which can be difficult to remove in such a confined area. Its not outside the realm of do it yourself but if you dont have alot of patience i would recommend taking it to a tech.

Old 12-03-2005, 09:46 PM
1st Gear

So im assumeing that i need to replace the intake gasket since im takeing the intake off right ? How much does one of these pumps cost usually ? I am dieing to know where the coolant is going ! I smell it and i see it. But its not dripping on the ground. This car is driveing me nuts. The bearing just went out in the torque converter. That was a $1800 repair. Im gonna have to fix this one myself if i wanna eat this month lol

Old 12-05-2005, 06:28 AM
3rd Gear

Thats correct you will have to replace both intake gaskets. Usually it collects in the valley between the banks and starts to drip off the back of the block and around the side of the tranny.

Old 12-05-2005, 11:17 PM
1st Gear

you'll also need 5 or more fuel line size clamps b/c you have to break the crimped clamps for some hoses. best way is to secure a few bungee cords once you get the intake unbolted to hold it back out of the way, rather than take the whole intake completely off the car.