Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 New Issues :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 10:27 AM
1st Gear
Unhappy 2 New Issues :(

Good Morning all....
1999 Audi A6 Quattro
Issue #1:
Got my brake pads changed yesterday, now know that I will need new wires that lead from the brake pad ABS sensor (??)... The ABS and Brake Light did not go off. Mechanic noticed that the wires are dry rotting. So here is another expense.... THE PROBLEM is after changing the brakes and turning the rotors, it seems as if i have to super smash on the brakes to stop. Making a quick stop seem to be near impossible. What causes this???

Issue #2:
Upon arriving to work this morning, i noticed smoke coming from under my hood. Checked the resivoir, and it is full, no leaks noted, and Tempurature gauge reads normal. Upon opening the hood, there is this 4 inch wide hose leading from the main middle thing (sorry not sure of techinical terms) and it seems as if the smoke was escaping from there. I don't know what hose that is and is that bad??

Any information is welcomed and if you need any more info please feel free to let me know!!!! Thanks!

Old 04-19-2012, 11:59 AM
2nd Gear

For issue #1
Assuming your mechanic didn't cause another issue and truly just replaced the brake pads and rotors (or turned them) - there is a brake in phase for new pads so they will get to their full potential.
However it really depends on how different the feeling is. They shouldn't feel like butter or that you press the pedal all the way down as hard as you can to barely stop. If that is the case you might be looking at a bigger problem. The mechanic mentioned your brake lines are rotting/cracked. It is possible he made them start leaking while replacing the pads (due to movement, etc). Unfortunately I can't give you a guarantee that is your problem - It's just a wild guess at this point without looking into it further.

For issue #2
Take your digital cam, capture a picture or 2 from different points of view for us and post it here. It's hard to tell from your description what that could be.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:54 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by DivaDown
Good Morning all....
1999 Audi A6 Quattro
Issue #1:
Got my brake pads changed yesterday, now know that I will need new wires that lead from the brake pad ABS sensor (??)... The ABS and Brake Light did not go off. Mechanic noticed that the wires are dry rotting. So here is another expense.... THE PROBLEM is after changing the brakes and turning the rotors, it seems as if i have to super smash on the brakes to stop. Making a quick stop seem to be near impossible. What causes this???

Issue #2:
Upon arriving to work this morning, i noticed smoke coming from under my hood. Checked the resivoir, and it is full, no leaks noted, and Tempurature gauge reads normal. Upon opening the hood, there is this 4 inch wide hose leading from the main middle thing (sorry not sure of techinical terms) and it seems as if the smoke was escaping from there. I don't know what hose that is and is that bad??

Any information is welcomed and if you need any more info please feel free to let me know!!!! Thanks!

The first issue: So you have the ABS light ON with a blinking brake light correct?
If so the common problem in the years before 2001 was the faulty ABS module.

The module goes bad which causes a need for rebuild or replacement. My 2001 2.8 has the same problem and i have left the abs module alone. Costs ($1000 for new module $200 for rebuild+you pay shipping and labor to remove)

Ive disconnected the abs module as it Sometimes causes interference when trying to diagnose the car.

if you live in a state where snow falls often then i would consider getting the ABS rebuilt.

The second issue take a picture as stated earlier of the smoke.

If the smoke is coming from somewhere close to the air box and coolant tank my guess is oil is leaking from the valve covers and burning on the exhaust. (common issue with the 2.8 and 2.7 engines) do you smell any burning sort of odor ?

Old 04-19-2012, 04:19 PM
1st Gear

Don't want to step on anyone toe's, but people your cup of Joe ain't working anymore.

DivaDown if your from TX as posting says, here you go.

Issue 1: Sound like the wiring harness for the brakes to ABS are dry and cracking(weather played the part). You should replace all the harnesses and make sure that you insulate them to avoid it from happening again. By doing that you also avoid shorting out the modules like N.N. budhani786 said. That would be a little costly.

Issue 2: Your talking about the intake, that not the source of the smoke. But N.N. might be right it might be the valve cover gaskets are leaking.
I have to ask this Q's.
Did that ever happen before?
In pass have you add more brake fluid to the reservoir?