Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 A6 2.7l crank/no start

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 04:12 AM
1st Gear
Default 2000 A6 2.7l crank/no start

Hey all got a 2.7L Turbo that crank but no start. Car has been my project car for quite some time, had a bad overheat on original motor with 136k on it and found a crack in cylinder 1 that I believe the previous owner had filled. Anyway I bought a used motor with 42k on it, and dropped it in. but no dice just cranked forever.

I have been waiting for the snow to melt so I could work on it more, anyway here is a list of parts I have replaced over that last 2 yrs. Been replacing things As I get the money.

Fuel Pump- went 8 months after we bought car.
Fuel Filter
Aux Water Pump- Went 6 months after we bought
6 beru coil packs/ngk plugs
2 Icm's
rebuilt drivers side turbo- had a bad oil leak.
new starter
Ross-Tech cable/license
new crank sensor
2 new cps sensor
4 new coilovers- 3 had broken/cracked coils on them.
rebuilt Intake- all new vacuum lines

On Order arriving by next monday:
Head/cam/valve cover/intake/exhaust/egr gaskets full sets.
Head bolts
Egr- Combi Valve left side as brass nipple broke off.
Injector O-ring Set- cleaning fuel rail/injectors
other misc. items bolts, shouldered nuts etc.

I have been through the car and its driving me nuts. Checked Spark a zillion times- good. checked fuel injector Pulse-Good. Compression 160+ Good. Fuel is at the injectors, although I do have a question about them. If the car sat for long period of time with fuel/moisture could the injectors get clogged by buildup that way?

Any other suggestions? I have spent a lot of time and quite a bit of money rebuilding and im about at the end of the road as far as diagnosing the issue. timing is dead on the money as well that has been verified multiple times. right now it is cam bar locked, crank pin locked, as I removed the heads to replace gaskets and do some extra cleaning of everything.

Last edited by dallanar; 04-30-2014 at 04:16 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:06 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by dallanar
Checked Spark a zillion times- good. checked fuel injector Pulse-Good. Compression 160+ Good. Fuel is at the injectors, although I do have a question about them. If the car sat for long period of time with fuel/moisture could the injectors get clogged by buildup that way?
With spark and fuel:
You could take the fuel rail off with injectors in (disable spark/unplug coils), crank to see if injectors are spraying.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:43 AM
1st Gear

I'll give that a go as soon as my parts arrive, thanks for the reply VTRaudt.

I forgot to mention I have been through the fuse boxes as well with my multimeter no luck there as well.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:58 AM
2nd Gear

Obvious alternative (for those like me that have tons of junk floating around): swap in 'known good' injectors to rule out injectors as possible cause.

Also - may not be applicable here at all - I remember when doing the FSI/ICM delete on my 1.8T, I worked off a wrong drawing, wired up the ignition coils in wrong sequence. Since I had spark, I was expecting at least some 'fire' (=detonations). But nothing. Finally videotaped the sparking, and someone here detected that the firing order is wrong.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:33 PM
1st Gear

Only way that this would happen on mine is if I hooked up the 4 wire harnesses in wrong location on the ICM's correct as I have the 6 beru coil packs, the Icms control the firing, which I have those like this.

[IMG][/IMG]

Of course everything looks much cleaner now. This was prior to replacing all of my ignition components. I took a lot of photos on the disassemble

Old 05-05-2014, 07:19 PM
1st Gear

All my ordered parts finally arrived today, a few items were on backorder until the 1st so they shipped whole order late, I have gotten the passenger side head bolted back on with new gasket, head bolts, cam seals, cam tensioner gasket/half moon. valve cover gasket/spark plug gaskets. sun is going down fast so will be doing driver side tomorrow, its all cleaned up and ready to go.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:42 PM
1st Gear

Ok so yesterday i got the car all reassembled, wired up. did some water removal from drivers side front and back seats as battery drain was clogged. got in put key in, no crank at all, i replaced the starter but It was used so not quite sure it was any good, everything else seems to power up except the starter.

My question is I have a broken crank sensor connector that I had to splice up to fix, if the wiring on that sensor isnt powering the crank sensor will it tell the starter not to start? Or do I pretty much have to remove the starter and look there first. Never had a no crank condition yet on this car. Was cranking fine on other starter just figured I would replace it since I had a newer one and had the car apart.