Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hesitation in Acceleration from a Stop

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 03:31 PM
1st Gear
Default Hesitation in Acceleration from a Stop

I am new to Audi and all wheel drive, in general. I am normally a GM girl, but made the big switch. I recently got a 2006 A6 3.2L quattro and have really enjoyed the car. I have noticed a few things, but did not know if they are normal for the car.

Sometimes, from a stop, the car hesitates, quite a bit, when the accelerator is pressed. I had thought that, since the car is quattro, that it would be super fun off the line, but it hesitates so much, sometimes, that i think i could get in a wreck if i tried to pull out quick.

I brought the issue up to the dealership, since the car is still in warranty. They gave me some story about how that particular transmission feels this way. I feel like I am getting the run around, being a female. I was thinking about going to another dealer for a second opinion.

Does anyone else have this problem or some insight?
Thanks!

Old 06-12-2009, 03:59 PM

from what you are saying, this seems to be a 1-1.5 second hesitation?

Your car does not have a turbo. Most "lag" issues involve turbo engines. It is NOT normal for your car to be doing this. I have an 01, so i cant speak greatly on the subject of a newer car, but I am leaning towards thinking your are getting the run around.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:07 PM
2nd Gear

I've read this lots .. and I guess it is how the car is meant to be maybe? I know the throttle is all electric, so there maybe could be some timed delay or something?

but you say it is only sometimes?

Old 06-12-2009, 04:21 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, I would say it is a 1-2 sec lag. She is naturally aspirated, so no turbo lag issues.......

And it only happens sometimes, i would say every 2 or 3 stop to go's.......

I guess I was just super pumped about the possibilities of the feel of all wheel drive, off the line, and now I am a little let down.

So do you guys think I should go ahead w another opinion? The dealership, here in San Antonio, doesnt have the best reputation.....

Old 06-12-2009, 04:52 PM
2nd Gear

My car did that when I first got it. The computer learns that you are driving like a grandma and anticipates hesitant starts. TRY THIS get on the highway and drive it like your Mario. It will stop hestitating, Do that once in a while and it will keep it from coming back. There is a tiny little german noam inside the ECM that learns.

There is another way I think you turn the key on, not start and press the accelerator to clear. I'll get back to you on that to clarify...so what for my next post.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:03 PM
1st Gear

I can't speak directly to the 3.2L but when I first got my 2.7T S-Line, I noticed a similar issue. The transmission, in my car anyway, is quite a "nanny". It learns and adapts to your driving style and is very unlike the Ford transmission I was used to. When my girlfriend drives it a couple of times before the next I get behind the wheel, the transmission does not downshift as easily as it got used to my girlfriends more "relaxed" driving style.
The 2004 2.7T S-Line manual does say that when you floor the gas pedal quickly (emphasis on quickly) the transmission will kick into sport mode automatically and throw you down a couple gears immediately thus snapping your neck back in 0-60 bliss. If you gradually press the pedal down to the floor, it will err on the side of fuel economy and not launch you until it knows for sure you want to be launched. The “quick pressing down of the gas pedal = launching” is in effect when in manual mode in my car as well. In the first week I owned my A6, I floored the gas turning left at an intersection. I expected it to stay in 2nd gear, which would have provided plenty of power, but the car took over and threw me into first gear thinking that I must have wanted to go in a real hurry.
It took some getting used to and at first I too was worried about it. But I got used to it and learned how to easily bring the beast out in my car when desired.
That said, if you are flooring it quickly and the car is not shifting down to the lowest gear possible then you may have an issue.

PS: If you want to bring out the real launchy goodness of your quattro, turn off the traction control.
PPS: You have a Sport Mode setting? Pretty sure you A6 should...if you drive with the tranny in sport mode you will see a lot less hesitation to downshift. Be warned, in my 2.7T, Sport mode reduces my fuel economy by about 1.5 L/100km

Last edited by frizzlefry; 06-12-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:36 PM
3rd Gear

First off, dry acceleration with quattro is not that wonderful. A powerful RWD is probably more exciting. I'd say you would notice the advantage of quattro if you took it off-road in the desert or if it ever drops 8" of snow on San Antone.

That said, a hesitation in accelerating does not sound right. The same throttle pressure should result in the same acceleration each time. If it hesitates or stumbles or stalls, something is wrong. But if it is drive-by-wire, then they are sensitive and you may not be depressing the accelerator the same way each time. You might want to take it to an empty lot and test it by applying the same pressure each time. If it behaves erratically, take it back to the dealer and demonstrate the problem to a technician.

You might keep your eye open for other 3.2 drivers and ask them their experience. I chat with 2.7T drivers whenever I can.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:27 PM
2nd Gear

Throttle adaptation procedure for a C6:

1. Stick key in ignition and turn to the "ON" position.

2. Step on throttle all the way down and hold for 5 seconds.

3. Turn key all the way off while still holding throttle down.

4. Release throttle 2 seconds after turning key to "OFF".

5. You might be able to hear the reset taking place. You're good to go after a minute.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:54 PM

Kevin, what do u mean when you say you will hear it?

Old 06-12-2009, 08:32 PM
2nd Gear

It sounds a little like the e-brake engaging or disengaging, only the noise is coming from the firewall/engine compartment area.

Quick Reply: Hesitation in Acceleration from a Stop