Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 A6 4.2 Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Unhappy 2000 A6 4.2 Transmission problem

Hello everyone,

My a6 with 150K has been parked in my garage for about a month now as I am trying to decide what to do with it. On a trip to NY about 5 weeks ago I placed the car into reverse to park my car. There was a lot of traffic approaching so I applied the gas much harder than I usually do while in reverse. When I did this my car "shuddered" and barely moved. I took my foot off of the gas and was able to park off of my car's idle while still in reverse. When I took the 1 1/2 hour ride home the transmission shifted normally in drive. I arrived home, placed the car in reverse and applied the gas sharply and the "shudder" occurred again. The car was checked with a VAG-Com and no codes were found. I brought it to a couple of transmission shops in my area who all diagnosed the car as needing a transmission rebuild. They both based their assessments on the behavior of the transmission when taking it on a test drive and recreating the "shudder" behavior. Both said that the transmission shifted normally in drive. However, the transmission's fluid level hasn't been checked.

Maintenance:
I purchased the car used and had the transmission last serviced at 110K.

I am wondering if it is worth having a fluid change or if I should just look for another car. Is it possible that a fluid change can resolve this issue or that low fluid can cause this proble? Both shops quoted me $4,500 for the rebuild which I would rather put towards a newer. Any advice is appreciated.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:54 AM
2nd Gear

Your transmission should be:

Make Model Engine Model Year OE Part # Code ZF Part # Type

Audi A6 Quattro 4.2L 1998 - 2001 01L 300 041M ECF 1058 020 015 5HP24A

Google for 5HP24A, search the forum as well.

Anything is possible, but one could suggest to start with the ATF => level and change with proper fluid.
Complete flush is hardly possible - the drain quantity is about 4-5l.
Drive a 100 m then drain and fill again.
Do you plan to DIY ?
Look at the forum for info on the procedure.
(you could be just low on fluid...)
What was done at 110k?
"the transmission last serviced at 110K" means very little=>provide details..

What is the color of the fluid - neither VAG fluid, nor Pentosin (approved by ZF) are redish..

Last edited by nemohm; 06-03-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:17 PM

good info from nemohm..run with it but FIRST, get a legit diagnostic using Audi/ZF sw..that means a visit to Audi! Did either of those shops run the correct ZF troubleshooting software...then, don't believe anything they tell you! All they see is $$ signs when a Audi rolls in and hope they're dealing with an *desperate idiot.
There's indie shops that do ZF's also but it's doubtful they'll have the access to info Audi, BMW have.

Last edited by mystrodo; 06-03-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:45 AM
1st Gear

My transmission rule of thumb is when they won't reverse, they need a rebuild. Check the fluid, but if it will go forward okay, it's not the fluid level. Sorry for the bad news. You can get the codes checked for a bad harness or solenoid or pressure problem.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by oldmots
My transmission rule of thumb is when they won't reverse, they need a rebuild. Check the fluid, but if it will go forward okay, it's not the fluid level. Sorry for the bad news. You can get the codes checked for a bad harness or solenoid or pressure problem.
I'd bet your correct on the rule of thumb theory..but also, since the ZF has the capabilities to be read via sw, you want that info first to confirm the ROT.
..he might be able to find a used trannie if he liked his car enough.. especially since it's a car that he knows the history on.

Hopefully the guy (CT A6) will update us.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:42 PM

I am going to have the fluid level checked on Monday. If the tranny is full of fluid I am going to bring the car to one of my local audi dealerships (either the one in North Haven, CT or Fairfield, CT).

As far as the previous tranny service performed, I had the filter changed and a fluid flush.

If the tranny requires a rebuild, can anyone recommend a shop on the east coast (preferably between Massachusettes and Maryland). Also, what can I expect to pay for a rebuild? I really don't want to go through the trouble of installing a used tranny not knowing if the used tranny has issues too.

I really do appreciate everyone's input.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by CT a6

As far as the previous tranny service performed, I had the filter changed and a fluid flush.

For future reference incase you didn't already know....

..you've only got 40K on this *serviced transmission? If whoever did that job didn't use the proper fluid for the zf5hp24a then it'll explain why it failed so early...if that's the prognosis? The ZF is a robust tranny but demands high quality juice and exacting procedure for changing it.

Last edited by mystrodo; 06-06-2010 at 09:03 PM. Reason: added info
Old 06-07-2010, 10:02 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CT a6
I am going to have the fluid level checked on Monday. If the tranny is full of fluid I am going to bring the car to one of my local audi dealerships (either the one in North Haven, CT or Fairfield, CT).

If the tranny requires a rebuild, can anyone recommend a shop on the east coast (preferably between Massachusettes and Maryland). Also, what can I expect to pay for a rebuild? I really don't want to go through the trouble of installing a used tranny not knowing if the used tranny has issues too.

I really do appreciate everyone's input.
For a typical rebuilt tranny from the dealer expect to pay around $4700 (price does not include installation) and it comes with 1yr 12k warr.

I got mine from autosports unlimited in Mi. for $2700 (price includes shipping w/core) 2yr unlimited mile warr. but you have to ship your old one back. I would be cautious however. When i got mine and had my mec. install it, about 3 months later it started leaking, long story short i had to get another one and fight them for the reinburstment, however my second tranny is holding up Knock on wood>>

third uption have Lucas performance in Jessup Md (301 362 3800) Ron can have it rebuild for about 3k and he is not someone who will rip you off.