Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 A6 2.7T - keep or cut bait??

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 12:39 AM
1st Gear
Question 2001 A6 2.7T - keep or cut bait??

I have a 2001 A6 2.7T with 160,000 miles on it. I recently started hearing a squeak in the right front suspension - believe it to be control arm bushings. It also needs the front axles replaced. The usual check engine codes are also present - camshaft position sensor, torque converter. The car seems to run ok. I merely reset the codes, and they stay away for weeks at a time. My question is for those with more knowledge of Audis than I is, should I spend the money to fix the suspension and axles, and deal with the codes or should I trade the car in on something with far less miles? I keep vacillating and could use the opinions of others.

Thanks!

Old 04-30-2015, 01:09 PM
1st Gear

I would start with the codes to understand what is going on. Because they come on periodically, it may not be too serious now. Maybe someone else can expand on the torque code. The camshaft sensor shouldn't be too bad to replace. Just make sure it's the sensor and not something else triggering it. How handy are you? The suspension needs are not too bad as a DIY (lots of stuff here on the forum changing out the control arms and tie rods). I know folks say the control arms are the issue but usually its the inner and outer tie rods. Do you know how to test for a bad tie-rod? My Audi has over 212k and have replaced the control arms and struts once. The tie rods, 3x. The front axles are not bad either. The next question you should answer is your timing belt service. Shop would charge about $1500 (parts & labor) and that's Northeast pricing. Also, are you on original turbos? Net you are about $600-$800 in parts (control arms right side only, timing belt kit, sensor).... I would keep it doing all repairs myself. If a shop is involved, move on. Just my two cents. good luck and let us know what you decide.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:53 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by toolagit2qwit
I would start with the codes to understand what is going on. Because they come on periodically, it may not be too serious now. Maybe someone else can expand on the torque code. The camshaft sensor shouldn't be too bad to replace. Just make sure it's the sensor and not something else triggering it. How handy are you? The suspension needs are not too bad as a DIY (lots of stuff here on the forum changing out the control arms and tie rods). I know folks say the control arms are the issue but usually its the inner and outer tie rods. Do you know how to test for a bad tie-rod? My Audi has over 212k and have replaced the control arms and struts once. The tie rods, 3x. The front axles are not bad either. The next question you should answer is your timing belt service. Shop would charge about $1500 (parts & labor) and that's Northeast pricing. Also, are you on original turbos? Net you are about $600-$800 in parts (control arms right side only, timing belt kit, sensor).... I would keep it doing all repairs myself. If a shop is involved, move on. Just my two cents. good luck and let us know what you decide.
Exactly what he said. The big thing to consider is the health of the turbos. If those go on a 2.7T it's time to get rid of it or get ready to re-invest about $1600 in parts alone and keep it for another 100,000 miles.