Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 a6 2.8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 09:34 AM
1st Gear
Default 2001 a6 2.8 problems

just had the timming belt,and pullys, water pump, and therm replaced, now car smokes from back side of engine smells like oil and is losing transmission fluid and is not catching till about 4000 rpm in first gear. can anyone helpme. my girl wanted this car and im starting to see it may have been a bad idea. im used to chevys and any help would be much thank you very much

Old 09-22-2011, 01:54 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bpost
just had the timming belt,and pullys, water pump, and therm replaced, now car smokes from back side of engine smells like oil and is losing transmission fluid and is not catching till about 4000 rpm in first gear. can anyone helpme. my girl wanted this car and im starting to see it may have been a bad idea. im used to chevys and any help would be much thank you very much

1st jack up the car see where the oil is leaking from. there should be a pan below the transmission maybe its leaking. if your not good at mechanical inclined tow it to a shop for a diagnostic. its probably just old worn out gaskets. but dont drive it with it low on fluid. these cars dont have dipstick so you cant add oil without putting it on a lift and monitoring its temperature.

the engine oil leak is probably valve cover gaskets and cam adjuster seals. make sure your engine oil pan isnt leaking as well.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:31 PM
1st Gear

i got some knolage on cars but where can i find the cam seal and do i need any kind of tools i got the tranny filled up right so its driving good now but still smoking bad

Old 09-22-2011, 07:54 PM
3rd Gear

Is it throwing any CEL? Who replaced the stuff you were mentioning? Can you look and see where the transmission fluid is leaking from?

Anyways, without knowing a whole lot about the car, I can only suggest a few things.

1. You need a vagCOM to properly assess any CEL. Google vagcom or search vagcom in this forum.
2. Regarding the smoking... If you see the smoke, then you have 3 possible sources. Valve cover gaskets, Cam Seals and Plugs, or Cam Chain Tensioner Gaskets and Seals. Valve cover gaskets are relatively easy. Rear cam seals and plugs are medium but a little bitch to get to. Cam chain tensioner gaskets and seals can be a bitch but there is a shortcut which is still a bitch but not as bad as the proper way.
3. Transmission fluid needs to be filled with a pump or gravity fed. To do it right, you need vagcom. (get the message? Get one.) I did it the cheater way the first time, but got smart and did it the proper way the second time. Fortunately the second time was not the result of the first time.

I am not saying that it is not applicable, but your knowledge of pre-2000 chevys may require some booster shots before working on these things. FYI, get a Bentley or some kind of a shop manual. Ebay is your friend.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:36 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bpost
i got some knolage on cars but where can i find the cam seal and do i need any kind of tools i got the tranny filled up right so its driving good now but still smoking bad

You can buy the cam chain tensionors or cam adjuster seal at ecstuning or blauparts.com. Go to blauparts and they have a small pAge that explains what part is needed and where the leaks come from. I think they even come with instructions on how to fix them once you buy the materials. They are quite cheap materials. So DIY will save lots of $