Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Audi A6 Wagon Transmission Delayed Shifting Help?

Old 06-17-2012, 12:02 AM
1st Gear
Default 2001 Audi A6 Wagon Transmission Delayed Shifting Help?

Hey guys, new to the Audi forums, but been around before as a reader. I have a question about my fathers Audi A6, i believe it's the 2.8 Quattro Wagon with approximately 185k. The car's engine runs absolutely flawless, but the transmission has been acting a bit funny lately. There are no funny noises or anything like that, the only issue seems to be high RPM's before it decides to shift. My father took it to a shop and they said the transmission is fine and that there is a code for a bad catalytic converter. Would that effect the car's shifting? I mean sometimes the car won't even shift unless you REALLY push the gas to force a shift of gears. It's an automatic transmission. Anyway, i'm hoping someone with their expertise here would be able to give me a piece of their wisdom on what it could be. My guesses are possibly a computer reset for the transmission? or possibly transmission fluid? I'm really lost on this one. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:10 AM
1st Gear

There are lots of posts regarding to change transmission fluid or not. I think one mistake made is people mistake cause and effect. Assume transmission has major problems and will fail in 60 days not matter what. But that is not known, so the person tries the cheapest option, change the transmission fluid, and then in 60 days the transmission fails. They take it to shop, where the technician is good at transmission work, but bad at statistical logic and says, "Changing the fluid caused the failure."
I changed the fluid on my 98 A6 at 145,000 miles. The fluid was in very bad shape. The transmission ran much better. That was 30,000 miles ago and still running fine.
I think you need Mobil ATF 3309, AV Lubricants in Groveport Ohio carries it. And Blauparts has a fluid change kit with a gasket, pump, etc.
The hesitation may be related to the transmission hold feature. When the car is cold the transmission delays shifting.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:13 AM
3rd Gear

You mean it is slow to down shift? At what RPM does it down shift?

Old 06-20-2012, 10:57 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Euge82
There are lots of posts regarding to change transmission fluid or not. I think one mistake made is people mistake cause and effect. Assume transmission has major problems and will fail in 60 days not matter what. But that is not known, so the person tries the cheapest option, change the transmission fluid, and then in 60 days the transmission fails. They take it to shop, where the technician is good at transmission work, but bad at statistical logic and says, "Changing the fluid caused the failure."
I changed the fluid on my 98 A6 at 145,000 miles. The fluid was in very bad shape. The transmission ran much better. That was 30,000 miles ago and still running fine.
I think you need Mobil ATF 3309, AV Lubricants in Groveport Ohio carries it. And Blauparts has a fluid change kit with a gasket, pump, etc.
The hesitation may be related to the transmission hold feature. When the car is cold the transmission delays shifting.
very informational, thank you for that. hopefully it'll work.. as for the downshifting, that is not the issue at all. the downshift is fine as it should be, the problem at hand is driving normally as anyone would even when the transmission is warm or not, the transmission simply revs really high before it changes gears. sometimes i have to hit the gas, let it go a lil, slowly add more gas just to make the car shift gears. just think about what high rpms would be, its going up high around 6-7k. and even then it doesnt always shift.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:52 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Euge82
Without starting a whole debate once again, Mobil ATF 3309 is not specified for ZF transmissions.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:05 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by hxgaser
Without starting a whole debate once again, Mobil ATF 3309 is not specified for ZF transmissions.
So what would you suggest my problem is? Or better yet, what would you suggest i do? Thank you in advance.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:13 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by madunix
So what would you suggest my problem is? Or better yet, what would you suggest i do? Thank you in advance.
For the tranmission fluid go to the dealer and get the ZF fluid for your car. It is VERY expensive per quart but a good mechanic should be able to change the fluid, gasket, filter for 200-300. This should include the original audi/vw fluid.

Changing the transmission fluid is a very good idea if you want the most life out of your transmission but i think your problem *CAN* be solved with a simple TCU reset. disconnect the battery over night and do the whole throttle body adaptation.