Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 A6 - Cold weather + acceleration noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 08:48 AM
1st Gear
Default 2002 A6 - Cold weather + acceleration noise

Yesterday, we hit 10 degrees here and I was driving on a highway but when I got off the exit ramp I heard a machine-like humming noise, like a motorcycle or something, that got louder as I slowed down. When I accelerated the pitch of the noise would go up and likewise come down when I slowed down. The sound is worst when acclerating/decelerating through a turn.

I have had problems with my power steering in the past (bubbles). Is this the same problem again? Is there something defective with the power steering resevoir in these cars? I know in general there is something defective with my audi (blown engine, have had to replace all ignition coils on separate occasions, 3 of 4 cv boots needed replaced, among a lot of other things and I'm under 60k miles) Getting a little frustrated. Can anyone help? Thanks

Old 12-22-2008, 02:02 PM
3rd Gear

Not sure I can help much other than to say fluids really thicken in cold weather and that makes for more noise until things warm up. It's not usual for the P/S to whine a bit in very cold weather. I get a lot of body chirps and suspension noise when it is cold that I don't hear during the summer. Keep an eye on the fluids and check for the noise on a warm(er) day.