Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 A6 3.0 - cost of oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 05:29 PM
1st Gear
Default 2003 A6 3.0 - cost of oil pump

I was in today because my check engine light will not go off. I knew of this issue and a couple of years ago they said the issue was a faulty sensor. This time around they think I have an issue with low oil pressure, but they can't confirm this is the issue without more diagnostic work. But that is what they think the issue is, and if that is the issue, they said I will need to replace my oil pump. They quoted $1,542 in parts ($1,200 alone for the oil pump). Can anyone tell me if this is ridiculously high or not for an oil pump? I just did a little google work and the highest Audi A6 oil pump I see is like $500. Looks like most are in the $200 range. Would appreciate if anyone had an idea on this. I am looking at a total of $2,000 in parts and labor if the oil pump is in fact my issue.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Former Sponsor

The part number is 06C-103-273-H and it runs 1048.13 with retail pricing at 1290.00 dollars. It is described as differential case with gears, shafts and oil pump. Although by the picture it doesn't look like something that pricey, it seems to be more than the usual oil pump.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:28 PM
1st Gear

Is this estimate of cost from a dealer or an indie shop? If you are going to a dealer you have to assume the position(bend down and grab your ankles) and get ready for a shock.

I don't know whether my '99 is the same in this respect to your '03, but my excellent indie mechanic told me that he has very rarely seen an A6 oil pump go and the oil sensor is NOT connected to onboard computer so it would not throw a code.

If your display is flashing the oil pressure symbol, then you should have them(not the dealer) check the oil pressure with a manual gauge and if it is fine then replace the sensor. That is what I did and it solved my problem. You should also find someone who can pull the codes with a VagCom and then you will know for sure what is wrong and why your check engine light is on.

These guys sound like a bunch of pirates and I would not take my car back to them.

Good luck and it would be a good idea if you included a little more about your car and if you include where you live, someone may know a good mechanic that you can take your A6.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:38 PM
1st Gear

This is an official Audi Dealership. I am in Charlotte, NC.

Yeah, I called them back and asked why so expensive, he did say the oil pump is 1,290, and 1,540 total for parts.

I am as dumb as they come as far as cars go. I talked to the mechanic and he showed me some stuff and I really have no clue on what was going on. He mentioned possible low oil pressure and they would have to spend several hours to do more diagnostic work, inspect the engine, etc. They couldn't say for certainty at this point what the issues is. I think what he said was not that the entire oil pump had gone, but there are these little pieces on the oil pump that may not be working, and because of my model, you can't just replace those little parts, you have to replace the whole thing. He showed me one and it was just a little metal piece with a round indentation in it. While I was waiting the guy also asked briefly if I had had my timing belt replaced recently since my car was out of time. I said no and he walked away and didn't mention it again. Don't know if that has anything to do with anything.

I have had the oil pressure light come on exactly once in the 4 years I have had the car. And that was because the oil level WAS low. I had an oil change and the light went off. If I needed a new oil pump would that light not be coming on?

I took the car in 2 years ago with this check engine light problem (it would go on and off), and the sheet I have says "M sporadic fault cam sensor" and then "possibly due to a sporadic cam position sensor Ran GFF Test and found G300 may be defective". This was in 2009. I tried to show the guy yesterday this info, but when I said it was 2 years ago he didn't want to hear anything about it because he said it was so long ago it could now be many different things.

This time the sheet I got says "The mil is on to bothe banks having a exhaust cam friction too high fault".

To further muddy the water, I have had evidence of oil seapage in the past. A year ago they ran a dye through and they think the seapage is occuring back near where the timing belt is. They said they couldn't find the exact spot unless going all the way in. So I do know there has been evidence of oil seepage on bottom of engine before. I know not if this is related to my current issue. I do know that when they saw the evidence of seepage they never expressed to me that it was an issue that needed to be resolved or looked into further. I don't think it was that big of a deal.

I have been really stressed out the last 24 hours over having to possibly spend $2000 on this car. I would love to find a reputable indie mechanic who could diagnose my problem. I just want to know if I really do have a major problem or not. My A6 only has 52,000 miles. Really appreciate the responses! Invaluable information.

Last edited by mogwai88; 06-07-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:06 AM
1st Gear

Oil pumps rarely fail to the point of replacement; they are engineered to last the life of the engine.... based on that, I would have the oil pressure checked with a guage before venturing into this one. Based on what you have been told, I would also find a reputable mechanic elsewhere. My guess is they are getting ready to fleece you but good, they're just feeling up your wallet right now. The prices you are hearing for the work are normal, but the need for the work is still in question.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:30 PM
3rd Gear

If it turns out you do need an oil pump, given you have the 3.0, it would be so unfortunate if your car was in an unexpected accident on the way to get fixed.