Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 a6 4.2v8 Key stuck, won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 02:04 PM
1st Gear
Default 2006 a6 4.2v8 Key stuck, won't start

I've seen many people with the same issue but no resolution. Key is stuck in the ignition. Wont start. No dash lights. Radio is on. Seats move. Windows won't open. Had this happen one time and I hit the engine stop button and the key came out finally. That's not working now. Fuses are all good. I'm not too familiar with audi. I just got the car about a month ago. I have no idea what to do now. Any help would be appreciated. Oh and we're stuck in the middle if no where about 2 hours from a dealer...

Last edited by Angelisus; 05-05-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:15 PM
1st Gear

I had the same problem with my 2005 (also 4.2) and they ended up replacing the steering column. Seems the wiring had problem with the steering lock or something. Hope you have AAA.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:27 AM
1st Gear

we replaced the battery which was reading at 20% of what it was supposed to even though it didnt show under the battery check. I did have a weird experience with it a few weeks back when it said the battery was low out of the blue, then magically went away. The problem is the car seems to think its not in park, but it is, and it wont come out of park. I cant even put it in neutral to have it towed (unless they drag it onto the back of the flat bed and I just replaced the tires). Maybe something is lodged in there? I have USAA roadside though. bad news is, they only cover up to the nearest "repair shop" which is 17 miles... and my house is 200 miles away and they estimate it will cost about $350 to tow. I would much rather fix it myself if I knew where to start. Til then, fortunately, the car is sitting in a gated base.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:53 PM
1st Gear

Sorry to revive a long dead post, but I hope this helps someone who experienced the same thing. Essentially, my key got stuck in the dash and the car wouldnt crank. It locked itself down. Tires wouldn't move. Took it to an Audi Dealer in Montgomery, AL. They wanted 5k to replace the steering column, refused to explain why and hung up on me when they realized I knew a little about cars. So I waited for my bf to go down and get my car back (took roughly 30 days). We go, they continue to try to get me to pay 5k for a steering column without any explanation. Anyways, we have it towed back home. I realize it's about to rain and the dealer left the windows down (didn't occur to me how they could be down....), so I think "lets try to jump it and see if we can close the windows. We do.... she cranks right up. It turns out it was the button on the shifter that was stuck inside. After some digging, I find out it was repo'd from the previous owner and they had dug out the button with a screwdriver or something. So as long as I slam it into park, I'm good to go.

PS- stay clear of the Montgomery, AL Audi dealership. At first I thought they were doing me a solid, just letting me take it home, then I realized they were still trying to get me to pay 5k for a part I didn't need, after they knew it cranked....