Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Audi A6 Quattro Will Not Stay Running

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 10:16 PM
1st Gear
Default 2008 Audi A6 Quattro Will Not Stay Running

Hi guys, I am new to Audi Forums and decided to join this forum in hopes of some advice on an issue I am having with my 2008 Audi A6 Quattro edition. I purchased this car from a private owner for $1500.00 with an unknown problem. The only information I received from the owner is the vehicle was taken to an Audi dealership (while the car was running) and the dealer told him the timing chain jumped teeth, and the motor had to be replaced. He also took it to a private mechanic, to get a second opinion, and this guy told him it was fuel related (fuel pump). I currently have the car in my driveway and can start it. But, the only way the car will run is if my foot is on the gas peddle. Right, when I take my foot off the gas peddle the vehicle will stall. Also, when the car is running it just sounds "off." Similar to a car that is running without a muffler, but the sound is much much more mellow. Something else I found to be odd is there is no check engine light on. If you guys can answer a couple questions for me or give me some advice it would be much appreciated.
Thank you, Joshua Cortigiano.

Q1: If the timing chain jumped teeth would the car start?
Q2: If the timing chain jumped teeth would the check engine light come on and would there be any codes to look out for?
Q3: If the timing chain jumped teeth would the valves bend and if they did bend would the vehicle be capable of running with these bent valves?