Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 A6 3.0T cooling/AC fans stopped working - Fuses?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 11:56 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mattbult
In case anyone comes across this thread, I have resolution. Found the fuses, both 40A, both blown. Replaced with new 40 amp fuses and both fans operating properly, still working after about an hour. Maybe just a perfect storm of electrical overload, I literally got a call on bluetooth, closed the sunroof and auto-up on the windows, turned on the a/c, and had been sitting stationary in traffic in the heat for 15 minutes. Going to reset the codes with vag/com and see how it goes. If anyone needs help finding these fuses, let me know. They were not in the e-box under the ECM and washer reservoir. They were in a separate panel under the crossmember. Just about the most difficult location possible.

Two 40 amp fuses blown. Had to buy at the dealer.

panel is under the plenum cover and crossmember in the center rear of the engine compartment.

Dear Matt, Hi from South Africa. Thank you for sharing this information. Sent my A7 in to get a fan replaced. There is a guy in my town that's worked over 20 years at Audi who dose all my work. At the last inspection he notified me that the one fan was not working.

I managed to get a second hand fan which looked pretty new at half the price that Audi wanted to charge me and got it filtted. Anyways went to pickup the car and the Mechanic told me its fitted but it does not work. You can understand my levels of frustration especially since I had just paid for 8.5 hours labour costs to get it fitted.
Thanks to Google search and good people like you I found this thread and tinkered around the car and it's now started working. So thank you. Have an amazing festive. Cheers

Old 12-01-2019, 01:47 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Faheem Mohamed
Dear Matt, Hi from South Africa. Thank you for sharing this information. Sent my A7 in to get a fan replaced. There is a guy in my town that's worked over 20 years at Audi who dose all my work. At the last inspection he notified me that the one fan was not working.

I managed to get a second hand fan which looked pretty new at half the price that Audi wanted to charge me and got it filtted. Anyways went to pickup the car and the Mechanic told me its fitted but it does not work. You can understand my levels of frustration especially since I had just paid for 8.5 hours labour costs to get it fitted.
Thanks to Google search and good people like you I found this thread and tinkered around the car and it's now started working. So thank you. Have an amazing festive. Cheers
Excellent, tho I'm sorry you had to spend the money on the fan... Thanks for sharing, pretty stoked to help someone in South Africa!

Old 07-19-2020, 10:49 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mattbult
In case anyone comes across this thread, I have resolution. Found the fuses, both 40A, both blown. Replaced with new 40 amp fuses and both fans operating properly, still working after about an hour. Maybe just a perfect storm of electrical overload, I literally got a call on bluetooth, closed the sunroof and auto-up on the windows, turned on the a/c, and had been sitting stationary in traffic in the heat for 15 minutes. Going to reset the codes with vag/com and see how it goes. If anyone needs help finding these fuses, let me know. They were not in the e-box under the ECM and washer reservoir. They were in a separate panel under the crossmember. Just about the most difficult location possible.

Two 40 amp fuses blown. Had to buy at the dealer.

panel is under the plenum cover and crossmember in the center rear of the engine compartment.

@mattbult

Hey Matt, the right fan on my 2014 A6 recently gave out me and I’ve been trying to locate the 40A fuses but having a little trouble. I want to check the fuses and I hope this is the problem before investing in a whole fan lol Anyways feel free to PM if needed just wanted to get some clarity on how to reach locate these fuses

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-20-2020, 01:30 PM
1st Gear

Register using the link👇 only confirm the email.I'll show you my photos and videos💋You will find me by the nick KateCall
https://datingukrwomen.com/katecall

Old 06-01-2023, 01:52 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Chantaca Tribe
Fellas, thanks for all that you guys shared here. Two days ago I noticed that when I came to a long stop my AC no longer blew cold air. I looked under the hood and noticed that both my fans were not working. Prior to that though I noticed that only one fan worked, I just thought that the computer turned the second one on when it was hot enough. Back to the issue at hand, once I came across this forum I looked for my 40 amp fuses and discovered that they were both blown. Picked them up for 11 bucks and installed them. AC wokes like a champ now. I wouldn't have been able to have done it without this forum.

Thanks guys
Juan
Same issues with AC not blowing cold at stop and fans not working. Temp gauge usually sits at half but starts to creep up at long stops. No issue when moving. Can someone tell me where to find fuses? The area circled in red? It doesn't look like Matt's setup and I can get in there to see....

Old 06-02-2023, 02:44 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 99wmg893
Same issues with AC not blowing cold at stop and fans not working. Temp gauge usually sits at half but starts to creep up at long stops. No issue when moving. Can someone tell me where to find fuses? The area circled in red? It doesn't look like Matt's setup and I can get in there to see....
Figured it out and removed the silver crossmember and found the exact same problem - two blown fuses. Ordered them from AutoHaus and now wait to install them. Dealer quoted me $3500 for fan replacement. If the fuses solved the problem, done at $14. Shocks me that Audi dealer doesn't know about this or just wants the high buck repair!