Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'96 A6 Interfered With!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 01:02 AM
1st Gear

I think you need a "triple square" bit.
If you broke a barb nipple off the the maf, you can find all sorts of small barb fittings here:
http://www.smallparts.com/

Old 11-18-2009, 03:03 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by marblehead
Hey Gang,
Well, I had to wait for the winter weather to get real lousy before I tore into the R&R of the cylinder heads on our beloved A6. I'm ready to do just that now and am stalled at the cylinder headbolt removal. Okay, what's the magic tool/extension I need to remove those bolts? I've searched on-line and see both a "double hex" and a "poly" in 12mm. I've placed (and only placed!) a metric 10mm allen socket in the cap and it fits within the points but, of course, will not use that to remove the bolts as I'm very sure it would round off the points on the bolt head. So, can anyone help out there with advise as to what the tool's called and where I can purchase one? Having done a compression check earlier this summer, I know that 3 of the 6 cylinders are without compression so I'm assuming that those are where I'm going to find the bent valves. While off, I'm having the heads rebuilt by a reputable shop in SoCal and he can supply me with the necessary gasket set for re-installation. Also, I had the misfortune of breaking one of the tiny little green plastic vacuum hoses that runs from the MAS unit, under the intake manifold, to the ignition system on the front of the engine. Any ideas, besides the Audi dealership, where I can obtain a replacement one? Of the two green vacuum lines, it is the lime green color. . .
Damn, I wrote a reply and trying to look for a pic I closed the damn window...

You'll have to replace all the cyl bolts you remove since they're torque-to-yield. All the bolts anymore seem to have Polydrive head. I bought mine at GermanAutoParts along with the bolts. It was the cheapest price around at the time. Of course you can purchase them elsewhere.
As far as removing the old ones, it is a high possibility that you have the star-headed old type of bolts. You'll need an E14 Inverted Star Socket.
I found a 4-piece Great Neck set at AutoZone.

As far as the green plastic vacuum line, I broke mine as well since it was so brittle.
Instead of replacing it entirely, I cut the cracked sections and added normal vacuum hose to it. Instead of installing it back via firewall and under the manifold, I just rerouted it right across, toward the front of the Valve cover and the PS Pump. It actually connects to the Vacuum Reservoir which is situated below the PS Pump and directly under/to the side of the Coil packs. You can't miss it, is a big black plastic ball.
If I come around it and remember, I can take a pic for you.

Good luck.

Last edited by chefro; 11-18-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:23 PM
3rd Gear

There's a pic with the rerouting:
-
-
Name:  VacuumReservoirHose.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  52.4 KB

Old 11-18-2009, 06:27 PM
1st Gear
Default Cylinder Headbolt

Here's a pic of the cylinder headbolt, 12 points if I'm counting correctly. Hopefully the attachment took. . .So, my Audi mechanic friends out there, which tool is it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's a Snap-On unit and this looks to me like it could be it:
www.snapon.com
Socket Driver, Metric, Triple Square, Standard, 12 mm
Stock #STSM12E

$32.00

Pinless bits (no roll pin) provide a solid fit, are easily replaced and have no hole to collect dirt and grit. Bit sockets are chrome plated. Bits feature natural oil coat finish to protect against corrosion.

Or is it this one, a 10mm?
Bit, Metric, Triple Square, Standard, 10 mm
Stock #STSM10E2

$10.00

These extensions look like they're the correct ones on e-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9PC-X...motiveQ5fTools

9 PC. XZN TRIPLE SQUARE SPLINE DR BIT 12 POINTS SOCKET SET
1/2" , 3/8" AND 1/4" DRIVE

4" LONG S2 BIT IN CHROME PLATED KNURLED HOLDER

1/4" DRIVE SIZE:

M4 (XZN4), M5 (XZN5), M6 (XZN6)

3/8" DRIVE SIZE:

M8 (XZN8), M10 (XZN10), M12 (XZN12), M14 (XZN14).

1/2" DRIVE SIZE:

M16 (XZN16), M18 (XZN18)

Thanks for the vacuum line pic as well! That's the one!

Attached Thumbnails '96 A6 Interfered With!-img_6137.jpg  
Old 11-18-2009, 11:08 PM
3rd Gear

Obviously you have the triple square kind, as ryuuoh already guessed it.
I had a star-headed type of bolt.
-
Name:  OldCylBolts1.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  10.4 KBName:  OldCylBolts2.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  9.2 KB

-
If I would guess, probably 10M is the right size for your bolts (it looks fairly small), but don't take my word for it.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:16 PM
1st Gear
Default Gratitude

Thanks, once more, gang! Stand by as I get into it further, I may have more questions. I'm up at 8,000' so have to now work in more challening conditions! Great fun

Old 01-03-2010, 08:36 PM
1st Gear
Default Cylinder Head R&R Update

Hey Gang!
Well, I'm still out here and obviously have waited until the winter weather up here in the Colorado Rockies has gotten real nasty before I tackle the cylinder head replacement phase. I finally was able to secure the proper double-hex head socket wrench, after 3 failed tries, remove the heads, take them to a "head shop" in Fullerton, CA, have them rebuilt ($650.00, 3 exhaust valves and full gasket set) and am now beginning to prep the heads and engine to receive the lovely rebuilt units. Stand by. . . I'll try to figure out how to insert some pics as well. . .Here we go and the games begin!

Old 01-03-2010, 08:52 PM
4th Gear

Only 3 valves? Pretty lucky..

Old 01-04-2010, 02:58 AM
3rd Gear

oh yeah...looking foward to the progress and pics.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:39 AM
1st Gear
Smile Progress

Hey Gang!
Great to hear from you and glad you're still out there because you've been a trememdous help in the disassembly and staging of this job. Got the heads on without any problem, exhaust manifolds installed and secured and am now working on the top end as time allows. I promised pics and will attempt to do so but with the cold and me getting into the "assembling zone" (or is that zen?), I've not yet taken the time. No major challenges so far, though I'm currently struggling with feeding the oil dipstick in through the cast hole in the exhaust manifold and zeroing in on the crankcase hole, which I've yet to see down below because of the component crowding (mainly the alternator). I know it's down there somewhere and will eventually have joy. . .Those rebuilt heads are a thing of beauty- all nice and shiny. I was wrong about the number of replaced valves- it was four and they're really hard to see where they're bent. I've placed them in a drill chuck and that reveals the wobble. . .Only takes a few thousanths, obviously. Stand by. . .
Chefro, from what vendor did you find that vacuum tubing? I seem to recall you mentioning somebody in an earlier thread. . .
Thanks again,
Marblehead