Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 a6 30 valve head removal tips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 08:27 PM
1st Gear
Question 98 a6 30 valve head removal tips?

I know I have a bad cylinder after a timing job I did as there is no compression
in the #6 cylinder. I'm positive it's a bad valve or two. It starts and drives but i know it's only running on five cylinders.
Does anyone have a good write-up on the removal of the drivers side head?
I know I need the #10 polydrive and new bolts, I know there is three bolts towrds the firewall. what about the cam removal and extras like "engine drain plug for the anti-freeze" etc.......
I'm not sure if the head comes out with or without the removal of the cam sprocket and chain?
If so I would love the details!
Thanks>>>>>>

Old 07-30-2010, 12:44 PM
1st Gear

You will need to drain the coolant so it doesnt run into the cylinders when you pull the head also you will need to pull the timing belt and the cam gear and the plastic shroud behind it. you will need to remove the cams at some point to do the valve work so you may as well get them out of your way from the start. be sure to unplug the cam sensor that located on the end of the cam near the firewall. you should also change out the cam seals and the cam tensioner seals as if they leak you will be doing all of this work again.

Be very carefull about the alignment of the cams it is a little tricky on the driver side head. The spacing of the cams is 16 teeth but if you look at the intake cam on the drivers head the timing mark is on the tip of a tooth not in the valley as all the other cam marks are. meaning its hard to know which side of the tooth to line the mark up on. If you are standing in front of the car you want to line the 16th pin up to the left of the tooth with the mark.

The timing marks will line up no matter what side of the pin you line it up on but if you line it up to the right you will get an engine code of immprobable cam position sensor and the engine will run rough. And beleive me I am speaking from experience on this one lol. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:20 PM
1st Gear

I'm in the process of removing the passenger side head. It's been a job all day! Still have another day left since the temp was over 100F in the garage...
i had to remove the intake manifold, and currently stuck at the exhaust manifold...thinking about removing the first exhaust clamp and bolt to allow easier access to the 3 exhaust bolts...I'll see how successful that idea turns out in the morning...

PaDog, if you have any recommendations, I would appreciate any help...

Thanks,

Jimvivmik@msn.com