Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98' A6 Timing issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 09:43 AM
1st Gear
Default 98' A6 Timing issue

Ok long story short
Bought a car non running.
Came out to be be belt broke.
Broke at idle, I bore scoped it didnt see any damage
Bought a timing belt kit
Installed parts.
Set crank to TDC on cylinder #3 as ive seen and been told to.inserted crank lock pin tool, crank couldnt move.
Bought cam lock bar, I go to turn the cam gear to line up the diamonds and i can only turn them each so far.
I take out crank lock tool turn crank a bit then turn the cam gears and now the spin freely.
So I installed the cam bar
Go to turn the crank and now i can only turn it so far.

I havent loosened the cam gears from the cams yet.

I would assume since the cams were aligned with the bar the crank would spin freely, maybe im wrong or in not setting something right.

Ive read tons of post and watched videos, they all start out with belt on the car. But Id assume this would be the same process with a missing belt.

Thanks and sorry for the long read

Old 04-29-2016, 06:47 PM
1st Gear

Valves interferring with pistons when you try to turn crank with no Timing belt. Need to unbolt cams so all valves are closed when you turn crank to #3 TDC compression stroke. Generally (so I've read), if belt breaks when engine running, you very likely will have bent valves. So, be prepared that you may get poor compression &/or misfires once you get timing redone. Maybe lucky if no bent valves...but maybe not.
You could do individual cylinder leak down test (google it if unfamilar) to check if valves are seating. That may tell you don't bother putting everything back together, if cylinder not holding pressure.