Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 A6 Serpentine belt question..

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 07:29 PM
1st Gear
Default 99 A6 Serpentine belt question..

I just bought a 99 audi A6 Quattro. I think I might have gotten ripped off but im stuck with the car now and have to deal with it. Anyhow im new to the forums and I have searched all over the internet and can't seem to find a answer so I thought I would ask here.
It's a 99 A6 but the motor was swaped out with a A4 v6. I don't know the year of the A4 motor and neither did the guy I bought it from. But the problem is my serpentine belt shreded today. Took it to the shop and they put a new belt on it and said it should be fine. About 2 miles from my house the belt shredded again.. This time it took a bunch of wire's with it. Upon further inspection I noticed the AC Compressor pully was not straight. So it's throwing the belt. Does anyone know if I can get a serpentine belt that is shorter so I can bypass the AC? The wires are all messed up and I can't track them down to find out where they came from so I need to get a belt on it so I can alteast drive the car to the local shop so they can fix the wires. I can't afford to have the AC fixed so I would rather just bypass it all together. Thanks for the help! If anyone know's the length that would be great so maybe I could pick one up at advanced auto parts tonight if possible. Thanks again.
Chris

Old 04-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Former Sponsor

The serp belt for either the A4 or A6 2.8 engine is 078-903-137-BC and specs on it are 21.36x1882mm long. Only listed for with ac. In the non USA section of Etka there is a belt listed for the 2.8 as 078-903-137-AP and it is 21.36x1760mm and doesn't say for with ac so I believe for that engine it's for w/o ac and it's shorter specs help make me think that is true also. We can't order non US parts so no dealer would be able to order that serp belt p/n. You might be able to cross it to another brand though by size.

I would think the previous owner didn't go through belts every 2 miles though, and you already know there is a problem with pulley alignment. So you are just trying to limp it back to a shop and that's the reason for a shorter belt right?

Hopefully if you find something it will fit without interference and tension up for you to get it going again. Hopefully those belt specs help you out.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:10 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply. I called advanced auto parts and they don't sell a belt for the car with out A/C. He did however say if I can find out how many inch's the belt is he can get the belt that way. At the moment I don't have the money to replace the A/C compressor. So I just want to bypass the a/c to be able to drive it to the shop to have them figure out all the ripped wires. I tried like crazy to track them down to find out where they came from and unfortunatly wiring is not my fortay. I just put 1,500 into the front end of the car due to shaking at 60 mph. And it also is slipping going into 4th gear. So all I really think I want to do is get the belt on and get it running and sell the car.. It's a shame because It only has 90k on it but I just can't afford to keep putting money in to it. Thanks again for the help!