B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Question about serpentine belt.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 07:32 AM
1st Gear
Default Question about serpentine belt.....

As the title inquires....is there an "easy" way to change the belt? As in, looks retarded tight between radiator and motor. Is the only way to do the change involve removing front end? Heard putting it in service mode helps but am confused as I thought service mode was front end removed and rad support lays down?

Reason im inquiring about belt is because is pretty loose on pulleys. Havent ruled out tensioner yet-but was told this belt has been in commission for roughly 120-130k mi. sounds ridiculous but its legit. Cars not charging properly. Alt is 2yrs old(was purchased new...no reman) and then a new off the,shelf battery was grabbed.....jus to be dead as **** after 2 weeks. And when I say loose on pulleys.....i mean I grab it and move it up and down-and it has about 3-3.5" of tOtal travel. I always was under the impression an inch of total travel in normal.

Its a start to my problem solving. After all.....a $30 belt to make or break this option. Thnx for your time fellas,

Old 03-21-2013, 02:05 PM
Tech Certified

motor? year of car? and if that belt is that old i would do it anyways with a new tensionor, that **** is ridiculous, those parts have lived a good long life, retire them.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:08 PM
Tech Certified

and " service position" is jsut bumper cover off, with the core support loose,
i got bolts that are the same thread as the bolts that hold the core suppport up...
but i got bolts that were like 6 inches long, that way you put one on each side and that will support the core support so all the weight isnt pulling on your radiator and hoses. and that way it is easy to pull it back change the belts, slide it right back line it up easy and bolt it back up.
BOOM!

Old 03-21-2013, 04:34 PM
2nd Gear

I'm not sure about the 1.8, but I recently replaced the pulley for the tensioner on my 30v and didn't put the car into the service position. I don't think it was all that bad.

Start out by removing the plastic engine cover, including the one on the passenger side valve cover. Also remove the upper plastic timing cover on the passenger side. This makes removal of the electric fan much easier. There is one phillips screw at the top mounting of the electric fan and then a clip near the bottom. Push the clip and rotate the entire fan body until it can be removed from the radiator support. No need to unplug, just lay it to the side. Now it will be very easy to access the tensioner to relieve the tension in the belt. Take special note of the belt routing as the worst part will be getting the new belt routed correctly.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:13 PM
1st Gear

Apologies on leaving out info....its a 01 quattro with auto and 2.8. I aopriciate all the information as well-am going to see what I can,get going. 12hOur shift away from a 3day weekend. Thanx alot guys