Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 A6 symphony 1 to symphony 2 issues

Old 02-16-2012, 02:36 PM
1st Gear
Default 99 A6 symphony 1 to symphony 2 issues

I know this has been posted so many times before but I cannot find anything pertaining to my install. My car has the analog clock in the cluster which I believe is causing a few issues. I took the Symphony 1 out of my car and put the symphony 2 in. When I turned it on, sound only came from the rear speakers. The other things I have noticed is that it will turn off after an hour, the lights do not come on with the dash lights and the stereo will not turn off with the car. I was wondering if there was a work around or some re-wiring I can do to fix these issues. I thought I saw the info on how to do this somewhere but cannot recall. I did look at the guide that everyone else is using to do this swap but it does not pertain to my car since I don't have the digital clock. If anyone could lead me in the right direction it would be much appreciated!!

thanks,
sammy121

Old 02-16-2012, 03:09 PM
1st Gear

Your issues are because the Symphony II uses signals from the CANBUS network to intrerface properly with the car (lighting, power off, etc.). I think because your cluster has the analog clock, you cannot connect to the CANBUS in the cluster since it is not in there (only for those with digital clocks). Not sure if a CANBUS emulator will help you here. Good luck!

Old 02-16-2012, 05:25 PM
1st Gear

If you check the "Audiworld" site and go to the resources section, there is a write-up in the "Tech Articles" showing how the owner of a B4 A4 did this procedure without CAN-BUS to install a Symphony II stereo in his car. He also explains how he overcame the, "No Backlighting" and "Power Down" issues. Good Luck!

AudiWorld Tech Articles

Old 02-17-2012, 01:51 PM
1st Gear

The only tech article on AW I see is for the Concert II, and the writer appears to only solve the illumination, but not the power down issue.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec86.shtml

I cannot seem to locate a different writeup for the Symphony II. Direct link?

Old 02-17-2012, 06:45 PM
1st Gear

I looked through all of the A4 listings and came up with the same result. I have another question then, what if I upgraded the cluster to a newer one?