Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 2.8L overheating in extreme conditions

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 09:15 PM
1st Gear

I still love the car!
I'm just not too keen on any of the mechanics that I had work on it while I was doing my undergraduate studies (for obvious reasons).
I have a little more time as a grad student, so I have been working on it myself for the last year.
The alternative is to sell it, and buy another with less miles.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:30 AM
3rd Gear

Funny that you mention about the cam seal leak. I had a similar experience with the crank seal. I was following behind this large diesel and was complaining how stinky the oil burner was. So I decided to pass it, just to find out that the smell did not go away. Stopped for a look and there was a substantial leak under the car. Fortunately I had enough oil in the crank and stopped at a gas station to pick up 5 quarts of oil. By the time that I got back home which was about 30 miles away, I used about 3 quarts. That is the reason behind my 2 cents for the crank seal change during the timing belt change.

Yes if you are comfortable with wrenching, then you shouldn't have any issues doing the timing belt job. Just make sure to use the proper tools and preload the belt per the instruction with the cam sprockets loose.

BTW I would love to see a picture of your Sonett. You don't see those around...

Old 07-03-2012, 12:34 PM
1st Gear

My Sonetts (I have 2, and a parts car) are in storage in NorCal. They are ready to be stripped down and rebuilt. I have accumulated boxes of spare parts that are sealed and protected, and I have plans to do some significant body modifications on one of them. I'm thinking convertible....