Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 4.2 leaking coolant

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 07:36 PM
Default A6 4.2 leaking coolant

I have 2002 A6 4.2 that I took to VW dealership (much closer than Audi) to have the 40k service done and also to find out why the cel light was on. First I was told the vacuum hoses needed replaced. Did that, cel light back on w/ in 2 days. Next they replaced the MAF, cel light on w/ in 2 days. Now they say its the oxygen sensors that need replaced................. OK, now the same night I picked up my car, I noticed that the car is leaking antifreeze? I took it back and they said its the oil cooler housing (cooler mounts) the part costs $50 bucks , but in order to replace, the entire engine needs dropped........labor costs $1000++

Is there any chance that the folks at VW caused this problem while doing the 40K service? Also, has anyone heard that this is a common problem & how has Audi responded? (49K miles out of warranty)

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-01-2008, 11:37 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: A6 4.2 leaking coolant

I had the same issue with my (past) 01 A6 4.2. Took it in at 103,000 miles for what I thought was a waterpump leak and when I found out the labor involved and that the front end had to come out AND that Audi recommends changing the timing belt at 105,000 miles I had the whole thing done including pump, t-stat, belt adjusters, tensioners, crank seal, idler, etc. Then to find out (before it was all put back together) that the coolant leak was acutally coming from the engine oil cooler. It has a hard plastic tube that cracked and yes the engine had to be partially dropped. 5 cent part and Big $$ in labor. I did not have to replace the housing just the stupid little plastic tubing.

At that time I was real new to Audi,but had been reading the Forum for awhileso decided not to even give my local stealer a chance at it. Found out later the Indy charged me more than it would have cost me at Audi. Even the oil changes at Indy's in Alaska cost more than the stealer.

I can't imagine what VW could have done to cause the cooler housing to leak, bit it does seem premature at 49K.

Have myself a 2002 A6 4.2 Sport package now. Every time I get discourage about the maintenance and cost of owning a piece of German Engineering I read through the latest posts and am glad I haven't sold the A6 that took me a year to find.

Next upgrade - Bentley Repair Manual and speed dial to Blauparts.com