Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 Brake Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Default A6 Brake Warning Light

Hi

I have the brake warning light flashing on the dash of my 1996 A6. I have stripped the brake calipers all the way round and they are all fine, but when everything is reassemled the light remains off for a while and then comes back on at will within a couple of minutes of starting the car.

Does anybody have any ideas of how to cure this really fustrating problem? I have pulled the sensors off of each wheel and the fluid reservoir one by one and the light continues to flash and i am now out of ideas and hope someone can help before i have to submit to the extortionate hourly rates our local garage charges.

Steve

Old 04-13-2010, 05:37 PM
1st Gear

Which warning light? The circle with the dash lined surrounding it? Probably pads my friend. When is the last time they were replaced?

Old 04-14-2010, 08:27 AM

Hi Thanks for the idea, but they are nearly new that was the first thing i replaced - i have given in and have booked into a local garage to have the fault "diagnosed" - apparently the car will remember serious faults and i fthey are not "computer" cleared then they keep coming back.

I have fingers crossed as this is really my last avenue before the toys really come out of the pram!!

Old 04-14-2010, 10:15 AM
1st Gear

Are you having any other brake issues, like pulsing, etc? I'm wondering if there is an issue with one of the brake pistons. If it is not engaging properly (low fluid?), then I suppose it could set off the alarm.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:33 PM
3rd Gear

OH my gosh -- it's a 96 Audi. If the pads and fluid are OK I'd start looking for a wiring problem.

I think a bad ABS unit turns on the E-brake light but can't remember --

Old 04-15-2010, 03:38 PM

There should be nothing wrong wiht the calipers as i have stripped all 4 and cleaned them up and they all appear to be working fine. I have tried the brakes and they all seem to work fine and the ABS works fine with no problems either.

Hopefully the computer will tell me whats up on Monday - FINGERS CROSSED!!

Old 04-16-2010, 08:07 AM
3rd Gear

Calipers have nothing to do with the brake light unless they are leaking and the fluid is low. The computer does not need to be reset when the brakes are fixed.

Red brake light on means there is a problem with the e-brake or ABS. Flashing probably means ABS problem. If the light is in the status display it is either the pads or fluid level.

A wiring issue will certainly over ride any of the above.

How do you know the ABS is OK?
When there is a problem with the module it just stops the ABS part from working.
When it is broken the vehicle still stops OK.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:10 PM

When I teste it I stood on the brakes and the ABS kicked in and the pulsing can be felt. I assumed (maybe wrongly) that this was still in normal operation.

I will double check and see if i can see anything visible with the wiring that would cause a problem too.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:45 PM
1st Gear

don't know if this applies here, or to this model, but my fluid level sensor was sensitive enough, that the slight drop in level due to the simple wear on the pads set it off.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:55 AM

OK so the diagnostic showed nothing wrong, but having gained some new found patience this afternoon i have tried several alternatives and found that the problem seems to be linked to the drivers door interior light switch!!

The car will run for ages without the warning light coming on so long as i dont close the door !!

Does anybody have any suggestions to save my sanity?!!??

Quick Reply: A6 Brake Warning Light